None rotation of pumpkin & courgette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None rotation of pumpkin & courgette

Re planning the bed rotation. The best place for my pumpkins & courgettes is the same bed as last year. The bed will have a new deep layer of well rotted manure dug into it.
    Do you think that will be ok? Or Should I start my whole plan again

Crop rotation??? What's that??
    They'll be fine.

Comment

Just try to avoid the exact same spot for each plant, if you can't do that dig a hole and fill it with your manure and plant into that, that way it's not growing in the same soil again is it

Comment

Thank you ladies
        I can rotate them within the bed no problem

Comment

I'm rotating mine as the last time I grew them (2 years ago), they got destroyed by mildew/virus/malevolent spirits whatever, so I'm vary careful.

If you haven't had any diseases, then I would assume it's less pressing

Comment

I'd expect them to be ok. New Manure and all.

Perhaps every year or so, swap out the top soil or "plant into clean Soil".

They don't tend to have the same problems as Roots & Onions, nightshades, Brassicas

Comment

Go for it.

Comment

Just want to ask a question about pumpkins, are they worth growing when growing space is restricted, I would like to try them but don't know if they take too much space for small returns, and no I don't mean small pumpkins
                Last edited by rary; 25-02-2018, 07:58 PM.
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                  Just want to ask a question about pumpkins, are they worth growing when growing space is restricted, I would like to try them but don't know if they take too much space for small returns, and no I don't mean small pumpkins
                  Personally I would say yes they are worth growing, but then I might be a little biased .
                  If you grow something like small sugar you should get 2, 3 or 4 from one plant and they are a good size pumpkin without being massive. They really do have a lovely flavour. You can train them to go where you want them rather than let them wander around your garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    You can train them to go where you want them rather than let them wander around your garden.
                    I was told that when I got married
                    Now I have to do as I am told

Thanks SP, I might give them a go, can they be grown in the same bed as courgettes
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I was told that when I got married
                      Now I have to do as I am told

Thanks SP, I might give them a go, can they be grown in the same bed as courgettes
                      Yes. I grow them together

Comment

I'd go for winter squash rather than pumpkins, much tastier IMO. Something like Celebration, Festival, Uchiki Kuri or my favourite Thelma Sanders Ha Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                          I'd go for winter squash rather than pumpkins, much tastier IMO. Something like Celebration, Festival, Uchiki Kuri or my favourite Thelma Sanders Ha Ha!
                          I'm trying Thelma this year. I've tried a few winter squash and they don't seem overly keen on growing up here in the frozen north where me and Young rary are

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X