Greenhouse Growing Combinations

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse Growing Combinations

I have a small greenhouse and a PVC tomato growhouse. I want to grow in growbags two plants to a bag. Tomatoes, cucumbers, a cantaloupe melon and a watermelon in the two houses. Please can someone tell me what would be the best combination? Melon and tomato? Melon and cucumber? Tomato and cucumber? Or none of the above!

Best regards,
    Greg

sigpic

It depends how big your greenhouse is compared to the tomato growhouse. Melons and cucumbers grow quite big and would probably outgrow the PVC growhouse, so I would put tomatoes in the tomato growhouse and the rest in the greenhouse - grow the cucumber up wires and along the ridge of the greenhouse to save space. Cucumbers don't mind a bit of shade so put them in the shadiest part. But really, without some idea of the space you have, its hard to advise.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      It depends how big your greenhouse is compared to the tomato growhouse. Melons and cucumbers grow quite big and would probably outgrow the PVC growhouse, so I would put tomatoes in the tomato growhouse and the rest in the greenhouse - grow the cucumber up wires and along the ridge of the greenhouse to save space. Cucumbers don't mind a bit of shade so put them in the shadiest part. But really, without some idea of the space you have, its hard to advise.
      The greenhouse is small. 4ft x 6ft enough for two growbags on one side only as there is staging on the other and the growhouse is of the larger kind which is 8ft wide by 3ft deep. You can just about get two bags in there also.

Best regards,
      Greg

sigpic

Comment

I see, I envisaged one of those tomato growhouses that holds 1 grow bag.

I would still tend to put the cucumber in the taller of the 2 and grow it upwards. Last year I grew a cucumber in my friend's 8ft by 12 ft greenhouse and the stem grew up to the eaves and half way along the greenhouse before the frost got it. Otherwise I would be choosing the sunniest positions for the melons and the least sunny for the cucumber.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Do you need the staging in summer?
          I remove the staging shelves in summer in my GH and use the structure as support for the tomatoes.

Comment

nice one VC i'll try that.atb Dal

Comment

I would still tend to put the cucumber in the taller of the 2 and grow it upwards. Last year I grew a cucumber in my friend's 8ft by 12 ft greenhouse and the stem grew up to the eaves and half way along the greenhouse before the frost got it. Otherwise I would be choosing the sunniest positions for the melons and the least sunny for the cucumber.
              Thank you for the advice

Best regards,
              Greg

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Do you need the staging in summer?
                I remove the staging shelves in summer in my GH and use the structure as support for the tomatoes.
                Unfortunately the staging is part of the greenhouse frame. I had a mind to use the staging to grow sweet peppers and aubergines in pots. Grow them last year with great success.

Best regards,
                Greg

sigpic

Comment

Your standard grow bag is 3' x 1'.

So your 3 x 8 should allow 3 bags (one each side and one middle along the back) Will be a bit if a squeeze. Max of 9 plants.... Not all Tomatoes or you're be asking for trouble... Ventilation and air circulation etc.

With the 6 in the other house, gives you 15 growing positions.

Then move onto

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X