Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea germination times

Hi

I have planted some peas in guttering and have them in my greenhouse, how long does germination normally take?

Thanks very much

a few days, but the root starts first so you don't see anything above soil level for about a week.

Comment

It very much depends on the temperature. Above 6C they will germinate but very slowly, at 10C they can still take 2 weeks to show, but kept at 20C they should be showing before the end of a week.

For the last few years, when I've been sowing some old seeds, I've chitted them on damp tissue in plastic containers. That way you only use compost to pot up the ones that are growing.

Comment

Thanks its about 4-6c in there at the moment, and there's only a few popping up out of hundreds of newly opened seeds.

I planted them on the 16th February.

Comment

They'll be waiting for warmer weather, I suspect - unless mice have eaten them, or they have rotted away during the cold spell. I would have a gentle furtle somewhere to see what is going on.

Comment

My default method at any time during colder weather is to chit seeds first on damp kitchen roll in a plastic box somewhere warm before sowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              They'll be waiting for warmer weather, I suspect - unless mice have eaten them, or they have rotted away during the cold spell. I would have a gentle furtle somewhere to see what is going on.
              I has a gutter of peas that went to rot last year. planted them on the sunday, but couldn't get back to the Farm House for 3 weeks. There was a cold spell.

Comment

Like Thelma said... start them indoors on damp kitchen roll.
                Plant them on when they show sighns of growth.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X