Overwinter onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwinter onions

Hi Ya, I have been using sets for growing onions overwinter, Japanese< I am wanting to try from seed as the quality of sets seems to have dropped somewhat. Has any one on here grown overwintering onions from seed? if so, what variety? red or white? and how did you do it? I have heard several good reports about growing onions from seed and I am up for the challenge so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

I did it back ages ago (1989?) - definitely white - used an old grow-bag after the tomatoes had finished - started the seeds in October - put a sheet of polythene under it then wrapped it over the top and weighted it down with a couple of bricks on top of the coal bunker to form a sort of cold-frame - can't remember how well exactly it came out - got some onions, but I don't think they were anything too exciting.

Comment

There’s loads of help on this onion thread,read from the beginning there’s all the info you need Ive got a few red onions from seed,there was more but some seedlings are stronger than others. Next time I’m going to sow thickly in a tray & prick the strong ones out to pot on.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...eed_69067.html

Comment

Hi Ya, Thanks JJ, I saw that when I did a search for the subject. 51 pages? There is some good advice in there but not specific enough for what I am searching for. Perhaps I am being to cautious. I can grow onions but have never tried overwinter or summer from seed. I am starting to think that unlike the sets people sow their onion seed and grow under cover to plant out in the spring. Interesting. Will keep picking away at it. The subject has thrown a bit of confusion aswell as answers up in my mind. Happy gardening
        Last edited by lottieguy; 04-05-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Yes they do start indoors for the warmth to grow compared with onion sets that can go straight outside in October. It is nice sowing the onion seeds when there’s nothing much else going on in Oct-Nov & they go into 3” pots ready to go out whenever you’re ready. Ive heard onions from seed have better storage lifetime but I don’t know,this is my first onion from seed year

Comment

Growing Onions | How To Grow | Grow Your Own Shallots

Comment

Hi Ya, Well I think know were I am headed now. Thanks for all your input. I just have to decide on varieties. Thanks all
              Last edited by lottieguy; 08-05-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X