Can I plant out runner beans now ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I plant out runner beans now ?

My mum bought me some sown runner beans that are extremely long and need to be plated out. Have a large container I can put them in with old cmost which will be top dressed with new as well as havng sme home made compost added. Impossible to replace all compost as nowhere to put it and can’t afford to fill it with 100% new. As long as I feed them when floweing with comfry they usually do well.

As the weather is now warm, the garden is walled and quite sheltered, can I plant them out now as they are very robust and mature ? It would be a relief as they are in the way and nowhere else to put them.

Thanks.

You could put them out after hardening them off and if a cold snap is forecast, just drape a bit of fleece over them overnight

Comment

Its a little bit if a gamble with the risk of a late frost still, but if you are able to keep an eye on the forecast and cover them if we do get a warning then - Yes, they should be fine outside now.

Comment

Ok, will risk it for a biscuit. Thanks all.

Comment

I'm going to wait a bit longer this year before planting mine out.

Comment

Always a toss up whether it is worse to keep them in small pots or plant out and risk a frost. Depending on variety, if it is still cold when they flower the flowers may not set to produce beans, but they should do so if it is warm.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I put mine out on Saturday. But I'm in the south and I'm ready with the fleece in case we get the usual late frost.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Don’t put them out permanently until after the 15th May. We still have the Saint Glacé days to come.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

mine won't go out until the end of the month, purely as I like them to crop later

Comment

I've not sown mine yet and looking at my notes i usually sow them the second week of May.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I haven't sown any runners yet either - but I did plant some Climbing French Beans in pots outdoors this week. I have more if they die.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X