Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a small garden but it does not put me off.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a small garden but it does not put me off.

I know there are people with small growing areas like myself who don't have the room to have what they really want but I've tried my best.
    I've got quite a few pics to upload - I'm sure they will all be on their sides (hint hint please kind Mod can you do a swivel for me).

I would like to know how I can improve, extend or add to my edibles without sacrificing the pretties or patio etc.
    More pots are due to be added as the toms and Q's toughen up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vine01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	2406217 Click image for larger version

Name:	vine02.JPG
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	2406218 Click image for larger version

Name:	vine03.JPG
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	2406219 Click image for larger version

Name:	vine04.JPG
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	2406220 Click image for larger version

Name:	vine05.JPG
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	2406221
    Last edited by scarey55; 09-05-2018, 08:04 AM. Reason: Flipping photos
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

And more.....

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	2378144

Name:	IMG_0214.JPG
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	2378145

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	2378146

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	2378147
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Go up! My veg plot isn't as big as I'd like, so have arches going from the edges of the beds over the path to grow tall peas, beans, runners etc (although two got broken in the wind and need replacing). Could you do similar going from the pots either side of your path?

If I put a strong enough arch in I'm going to try tromboncino or uchiki Kiri growing up and over.
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

A very impressive set-up - I can appreciate just how much work has gone into what you've done.

Not sure if I can add a lot to what you are already doing. I'd just say height is one factor to look at eg runner beans were originally grown as ornamentals so a few plants grown up say a wigwam of strings produces quite a big crop. Similarly a grapevine doen't need much ground space (you could let the roots grow out under the gravel without disturbing the surface) and can be trained to fit any available height as long as even a temporary cover is available for Spring and Autumn you can grow some worthwhile fruit

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
          I've got quite a few pics to upload - I'm sure they will all be on their sides (hint hint please kind Mod can you do a swivel for me).
          When you click on your photos they come up the right way!
          Looks lovely, Lumpy, you're a star

Comment

Not sure I can advise Lumpy but looks amazing.

As VC says photos appear right way round when I click on them as well.

Comment

I really like the idea of 'up'

Part of the fence with next door is 8ft but the grouchy old **** won't let me even attach pea netting.

I think my fault is cramming too much into such a small space.

The new metal arch was £30 from Amazoom and only had 6 parts. It's very heavy and sturdy so I might invest in 2 more down the path.

What you can't see from the pics is my assortment of veg.
              I have mixed spicey leaves and sugar snaps in the wall basket. Four bags of tatties (won't last long but the taste is worth it). 12 garlic in front of the black raised beds. Mange tout, broad beans, radish, shallots and beetroot in planters. Plus in the raised beds there is DFB's, dwarf runners, beetroot, spinach, radish (did I mention I really like it), chinese cabbage, carrots and pak choi.

Fruit wise -
              2 apple trees neither of which are M27 root stock but I keep them trimmed to a reasonable height. The first apples last year were delicious. 2 plums against the back hedge (ta Morrisons), 2 pears and a cherry. Plus strawbs, blackcurrents, raspberries, goose gogs and rhubarb.

So, the moral of all this is - if anyone thinks there space is too small its not so go on and have a go.

Comment

Height and Wall/fence mounted pots. You've got a great setup there. Without sacrificing the stone area you are limited and that looks so neat.

Comment

It looks lovely as it is, Lumpy. The only suggestion I can think of is that maybe, instead of the tyres, you might consider a keyhole garden. It would save you the space taken up by the rubber and would maybe give you some extra space, while also providing a composting bin in the centre.

Here's one place I found on Google but there's masses of info on the Web. I'm thinking of making one for growing herbs for the kitchen (no chance of the dogs peeing on the herbs...).

https://insteading.com/blog/keyhole-garden/

Comment

Did I mention turnips.......no.....well I should have.

What I really have to think about is the amounts.
                    I try and grow a bit of many rather than the other way round. As OH's condition continues his eating habits are changing so one beetroot for a couple of sarnies or two turnips for salad/roasting is all I need etc.
                    I pick as I need and don't want stuff for preserving except for frozen toms and soft fruits.

I really wish seed growers could get to grips with butterfly free, tiny brassicas and mini bush sprouts.

As far as herbs are concerned I have mint, rosemary, lemom balm, basil (why do I think of Fawty Towers), corriander, chives and sage all crammed in with the pretties.

Comment

I note excessive amounts of chippings and flags !
                      Jimmy
                      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post

Part of the fence with next door is 8ft but the grouchy old **** won't let me even attach pea netting.
                        Whose fence is it?
                        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                          I note excessive amounts of chippings and flags !
                          Jimmy
                          Sadly a necessary evil as flags mean OH mobility scooter has a turning circle and the chippings mean no grass to cut.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                            Whose fence is it?
                            It's his and he has not been slow in constantly telling me. I got caught trying to quietly put up some pea netting with a stapler when we first moved in and there was ell to pay for the staples damaging his fence.

Comment

Stick in some vertical stakes a few inches inside the fence, then attach stuff to that ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X