Do slugs dislike purple veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do slugs dislike purple veg?

This may sound strange but for the second year running all my blue lake climbing beans were got at by slugs but they completely ignored my blauhilde purple climbing. All sown in same conditions and planted at same time on same bit of veg patch. Similarly purple pod peas less susceptible and yellow courgette plants too compared to green ones.

Is it possible they much prefer basic green veg to chew than coloured ones?

I've heard that purple kale is less attractive to pests than green. Having said that, I have a purple kohlrabi plant that is not far from a green cabbage. Both are protected by copper tape, both are seriously chewed. The kohlrabi is not going to be edible as they have eaten more than half of the (currently marble sized) swollen stem.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I suspect my red lettuce are less attractive to slugs.
      Jimmy
      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting. I've certainly found the blue danube potatoes have less slug damage. And I'd say red pak choi has less damage, as does red lettuce...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          I suspect my red lettuce are less attractive to slugs.
          Jimmy
          Funny, I have a bit of a slug problem and also have red lettuce planted. It hasn't been touched, but most everything else has been munched to one degree or another.

Baps.

Comment

I sowed some mixed lettuce earlier in the year, which contained some red ones. Once the slugs started eating them I didn't notice any difference - they ate the lot indiscriminately.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Bumblingbroccoli View Post
              This may sound strange but for the second year running all my blue lake climbing beans were got at by slugs but they completely ignored my blauhilde purple climbing. All sown in same conditions and planted at same time on same bit of veg patch. Similarly purple pod peas less susceptible and yellow courgette plants too compared to green ones.

Is it possible they much prefer basic green veg to chew than coloured ones?
              Having read this thread to the end, it seems if someone is brave enough to grow ONLY Purple and NO Green.......you'd soon see what the slugs make of that ...???.
              Gp
              Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Could be just a question of how hungry/lazy your slugs are. Maybe they see red/purple fing over there, nice green fing over here.

Baps.

Comment

We are lucky in that birds and frogs keep down slug population to copious rather than overwhelming levels. but its odd how they def like green best....

I may be brave next year and not bother with blue lake at all and report back on my bean success or failure !

Comment

Its not only slugs. Pigeons will eat the red cabbage last. Must be that traffic light thing you seen on food labelling. Green ok... Red ok in small amounts

Comment

I don't know about slugs but I know a couple of grapes that don't like purple potatoes .

I must admit my sweet potato got viciously attacked last night, but it didn't eat any of the young new growth which starts off purple.

Comment

I grew some purple kale last year and there was no slug damage or bird damage.
                        Carrie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X