Can I plant out onion sets now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I plant out onion sets now?

I have some onion sets which I haven't had the chance to plant out.
    I was wondering if I plant them now would they give me small onions at all, maybe?

Sorry if this has been asked before
    Last edited by chillithyme; 21-06-2018, 11:43 PM.

As onions are usually ready in July/August when the naturally go dormant there may not be enough time for them to grow enough to bulb up, but they can still give you scallions.

However do you think that the sets will last till next spring? Are you pressed for space or will you have room to put them out? Do you fancy an experiment?

If you don't think they'll last till spring without sprouting or drying out & turning to dust, you don't mind the possibility of not getting storing onion bulbs and you have the space to spare you could plant some out to see if they will grow into bulbing onions and use the rest for spring onions planted close together.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

It won't hurt, but don't expect big onions.
      Treat them like shallots or large spring onions.

If you don't put them in, then you run the risk of losing them anyway.

Comment

thankyou both

I'm just going to go for it and put them in, hopefully in the expectation of scallion/Spring type onions. I've got plenty of room, I don't think that they would last until spring as are sprouting, so looks like it's going to be an experiment
        Last edited by chillithyme; 22-06-2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
          thankyou both

I'm just going to go for it and put them in, hopefully in the expectation of scallion/Spring type onions. I've got plenty of room, I don't think that they would last until spring as are sprouting, so looks like it's going to be an experiment
          Love it chillithyme and who knows they might even grow enough for you to make 'pickled onions' for Xmas... That's if you like them ?

Comment

I love pickle onions, if it works out well il have to remember to post an update later in the year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X