Greenhouse type of protection

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse type of protection

As I love growing outdoor tomatoes and peppers, I'm happy with the progress of my plants so far but since joining last month I've been wondering about having cold frames or a lean to grow house.
    I have never had a free standing greenhouse, garden too small or a cold frame so what advantages could I gain by getting something to put the plants out earlier?
    Plastic, cheap, not sure of durability.Use for early growing plants then pack it away.
    Wooden cold frames, not so cheap, like a cupboard with windows.
    Lean to greenhouse, not too expensive, bigger, durable.
    The only thing putting me off the lean to is would it be redundant in summer and winter until sowing seeds again in early spring?
    Hope I didn't ramble too much.
    Rob

I'd go with a lean-to GH made from timber, and either plastic or carbonate sheets. It could be designed to be dismantled and held together at the joins with either cable-ties or bolts with wing-nuts, then the flat parts could be stored away when not used in the winter.

It would be ideal for tomatoes, as you'd get some borrowed heat from the house wall and cover to prevent the blight from getting your plants later in the season. You could also use it for raising plants and hardening off stuff in the Spring.

Comment

Hi Nick,
      As the lean to would be small, 4', as I forgot about a drain pipe in the way the only one I can find is Halls around £190, 4'x2', Looks good value although as it's small to grow toms in the soil I think it'd be hardly be used in summer months. I'm now considering the cupboard type, with lifting lid, big enough to harden off, raise seeds and able to be dismantled over winter. I'm used to pot growing so it's an option. Not sure if this is what you meant but I can't see a better way given the space.
      Rob

Comment

I have one of these https://www.garden-products.co.uk/sh...rowhouse/which I've had for several years. The glass is toughened safety glass (2ft x 2ft panels) and lifts out easily. I take the top off and sometimes the doors in very hot weather and grow tomatoes in it in the summer. Depending on the budget they do a taller one too https://www.garden-products.co.uk/shop/4-growhouse/. As these have a back on they are stand alone and being aluminium they are light enough to move around if you take the glass out. The same firm do a proper lean to which has to be attached to the wall, but they are narrower.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by robbra View Post
          Hi Nick,
          As the lean to would be small, 4', as I forgot about a drain pipe in the way the only one I can find is Halls around £190, 4'x2', Looks good value although as it's small to grow toms in the soil I think it'd be hardly be used in summer months. I'm now considering the cupboard type, with lifting lid, big enough to harden off, raise seeds and able to be dismantled over winter. I'm used to pot growing so it's an option. Not sure if this is what you meant but I can't see a better way given the space.
          Rob
          If you are going for a smallish structure its really only 3 sides and a roof, so even with very moderate DIY sides it should be easy enough to knock something up yourself. I keep a lot of odds and ends of scrap timber around so, apart from buying a few screws and some glue, I could make one from the second hand materials quite easily.

On the other hand if you have to buy something because you don't have anything not new to use - another way round it would to be to by an old GH off eBay, say aluminum, and then cut it up to do the job you want - you'd probably have enough stuff left to make a couple of free-standing cold frames.

Comment

I use these blowaway tents for my plants,they go in there during the day & back indoors at night until the temperatures ok/they’re hard enough to stay in there overnight. It gives protection from the cold winds same as a greenhouse. When the time comes to plant everything out,the blowaway tents become empty & I put them in the shed & put plant pots in there place. Ive got a walk in blowaway too but I didn’t see any great benefit of using it,unless you have really tall tomato plants you’re hardening up in the spring,but with these small ones you can take a shelf out to have some height allowance anyway. You sometimes see them in end of season sales.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7A19675B-C698-4A13-BDE3-F2EF5ADF3063.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	2378935

Comment

I've given this a lot or thought over the past couple of days and can't justify a largeish outlay on something that won't give me a big benefit in the long run due to small size.
              After lots of googling and reading replies I'm drawing a plan for a self built small lean to or a cupboard type and found some planks and glass panes from my old shed I dismantled last year.
              I may get one of the mini greenhouses shown above also, very cheap at the moment and collapsible to put away.
              More thought needed and thanks for replying.
              Rob

Comment

Sounds like a workable plan - good luck with your construction and if you get the time post a couple of photos of what you build please.

Happy gardening :-)

Comment

The advantage of extending the growing season has an appeal. We get our mass tomatoes from outdoor plants but the greenhouse plants continue to provide fruit into october usually. The extra space for early starters can help too but each season is different of course.
                  You might get some windows from a window fitter, either old wood or UPVC to make doors or side panels. I scored well when a neighbour had a conservatory replaced last year. You might have to search/wait but the bulk used materials can be had quite cheap subject to your desire for asthetics.

Comment

Thanks Nick, if it's any good I'll put up some photos.Is the dub because you've got a VW bus?
                    I think the size being very small Kevin is against me for a longer season into autumn but starting toms and peppers earlier doesn't need the space. Good tip about window fitters, thanks.
                    I keep looking for a used greenhouse to convert, maybe I'll get lucky.
                    Rob

Comment

You're very welcome - (the dub is just the start of my surname - sorry to be boring)

Comment

When building garden projects and things don't line up perfectly or a nail bends and you find the frustration building up, just remember to say this to yourself . . .

I'm not building a piano

Click image for larger version

Name:	wonky shed.gif
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2378960

Comment

I wonder what the estate agent spiel for that "des res" would be ?

" airy, detached country property with 360 degree views - would suit someone who likes to be at odds with the predictable, perpendicular style "

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X