No announcement yet.

The 3 season year!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The situation is going from bad to worse.

In an effort to regain my Nuttyness reputation you should know that I've been splitting my seeds into month of sowing/ and by Category - roots, shoots,fruits and leaves.
    For example, all the roots (carrots, beets etc) that can be sown in March are in one envelope/box. Then, in Roots week in March, I pick up that envelope and sow something from it.
    That was the plan anyway but now, I'm going to change it to BS (before Solstice) and AS (After Solstice) and keep all the March-June seeds together. Lots of them can be sown over several months anyway.
    I'm worried that you'll think this is sensible too.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      The situation is going from bad to worse.

In an effort to regain my Nuttyness reputation you should know that I've been splitting my seeds into month of sowing/ and by Category - roots, shoots,fruits and leaves.
      For example, all the roots (carrots, beets etc) that can be sown in March are in one envelope/box. Then, in Roots week in March, I pick up that envelope and sow something from it.
      That was the plan anyway but now, I'm going to change it to BS (before Solstice) and AS (After Solstice) and keep all the March-June seeds together. Lots of them can be sown over several months anyway.
      I'm worried that you'll think this is sensible too.
      There's my plan, ready made! So good it's nearly flat packed!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

The next step is to sow roots one week, shoots the next, then fruits and finally leaves - so that you have a 4 week cycle of sowing and can do repeat sowings every 4 weeks.

Comment

Summer should be Thursday 28th July. That way there could only be an overbearingly hot and dry summer once every 11 years.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Is that your birthday?

Comment

Realseeds have a guide to sowing after June - if you need some ideas!

Summer Sowing Guide

Comment

Realseeds have a guide to sowing after June - if you need some ideas!

Summer Sowing Guide
                And if you're the kind of person who can't be bothered with rows
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_b...A&index=3&t=0s

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Its Saturday night - my head hurts - it really shouldn't hurt till tomorrow morning...
                  Listening to the Manic Street Preachers to counteract any complaints when I say "bleddy VC"
                  I'm going with - sowin 'n growin - late Feb till maybe September - planning October - January

the days are getting shorter...
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

By the way VC, which version of the calendar does this apply to?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I like the Dutch girl's videos, Jay-ell, been watching them for a while.
                      Baldy, top up your glass and don't let it worry you.

Its the Chickilingian calendar, I'm surprised you had to ask.

Comment

Yeah - she made a similar bed in spring with update videos. I've got something like it going on only mines sown with chickweed, bittercress, dandelions, jack by the hedge, amongst others

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

A/
                          Conventionally, the year has 4 seasons, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter amd there are different opinions on when each starts and ends - calendar, meteorological, solstice/equinox - take your pick.
                          As you would expect, I'm different. My year has 3 seasons, each of 4 months and roughly linked to calender months. Am I the only one who thinks like this -

B/ or am I as nutty as you keep telling me?
                          Answer to A/ quite sound logic and practical thinking
                          Answer to B/ Yes
                          And don't forget that's the night's starting to draw in again
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

i see 3 seasons it is just a bit different then rest of you:
                            winter :inside growing
                            fall\spring; gardening outside with protection
                            summer: outside growing
                            Last edited by casejones; 24-06-2018, 12:37 AM.

Comment

It makes sense VC, and will people stop talking about shorter days I feel SAD already
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

I have a "new" 2nd hand book called "The Gardener's Year" and they have 9 seasons all related to the Phenological Calendar (Go on - Google it - I did)
                                Basically, each season's start and finish is triggered by certain signal plants and these trigger dates will vary wherever you live.
                                For example, the first season is "Pre-spring" which begins when a snowdrop flowers and hazel catkins release pollen.
                                Pre-spring ends when Goat willow and Cornelian cherry/Cornus mas flower.

Next up is Early spring which begins with Wood anenome flowering and ends when the leafbuds of silver birch and horse chestnut open.

Spring begins when Apples, Horse chestnut and Lilac flower and ends when Hawthorn, Laburnum and Mountain ash flower.

Summer has 3 seasons - Early, Mid and Late.

Autumn has 2 - Early and Autumn

Winter is winter - a period of dormancy.

If you "look inside" this book you can view the page with all the seasons and indicators for free https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardeners-Y.../dp/0711209278

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X