Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this pest on my aubergine and chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this pest on my aubergine and chilli plants?

Hi
    I lost all my chilli plants to this pest earlier this year,I’ve had the chilli plants for a number of years.i threw them all out,and cleaned the porch where I normally grow them.
    My new aubergine and chilli plants are indoors,in another room and this has appeared again,so I evicted infested plants to outdoors,but insects won’t budge,even after hose down.
    I had a money plant in the porch instead this year,but insects started on that,so that’s outside too.
    Any advice please to eradicate,i prefer non chemical sprays,but may consider it

Help please, I love my plants
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chillithyme; 24-06-2018, 04:25 PM.

Whitefly ?

Comment

+1 to what Nickdub said, that would be my first guess?

I used Ecover washing up liquid (small squirt in a spray bottle topped up with water) the washing up liquid stops them adhering to the leaves? I'm sure that's what I did last year when I saw them starting to gain numbers on my sweet pepper leaves, had to repeat every couple of days for a week I think. It didn't harm the sweet peppers and I know there was masses elsewhere in the garden on other flowers and shrubs so the ladybird, lacewings and hoverflies had more than enough to eat.

Comment

thankyou,I thought that it was whitefly too,but I can’t see any wings on it,so maybe not a whitefly?
        when I searched online thought it was whitefly or aphid,but not too sure.
        I did the fairy liquid spray too,but it didn’t work for me
        Il see if I can get hold of any non chemical sprays,or neem oil maybe,which I’ve never tried before,hope it does the trick

Comment

The oil based products (neem oil, coriander oil) kill most insects by blocking their breathing pores, but they are not cheap. I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMC-Control.../dp/B003VNATI6 a couple of years ago to deal with a spider mite infestation, but it also works on aphids as I found out when my carrots were encrusted with the things under their enviromesh net. Don't spray it where pollinators or insect predators go as it is indiscriminate, but indoors or under insect netting it should do the trick. It does make the leaves rather oily though.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Apologies chilithyme I used so many homemade remedies last year and I'm not the best at making notes... look up adding 1/2 teaspoon of oil to the recipe, as Pen says it was something to do with blocking pores. I'm sure I used organic rapeseed oil. See if anything comes up..

Comment

Thankyou, Ive checked the link, it is expensive, but maybe a last resort if needs must
              I'l try Earthgirl Jens method of adding the oil to the spray first to see if it works for me, I hope so.
              Il pick up an oil bottle,rapeseed or neem oil to add to the spray. I'm sure I've seen neem oil, in Asian shops, hopefully it's the right stuff to use. If that fails, il try the stuff recommended by Penellype
              Wish me luck, thanks again
              Last edited by chillithyme; 24-06-2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                Thankyou, Ive checked the link, it is expensive, but maybe a last resort if needs must
                I'l try Earthgirl Jens method of adding the oil to the spray first to see if it works for me, I hope so.
                Il pick up an oil bottle,rapeseed or neem oil to add to the spray. I'm sure I've seen neem oil, in Asian shops, hopefully it's the right stuff to use. If that fails, il try the stuff recommended by Penellype
                Wish me luck, thanks again
                Good luck - let us know what happens.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

If you keep them outside for a few days and wash down with the hose every day you should be able to drastically reduce their numbers at least. The weather forecast is fabulous this week so I think you have a good chance of getting rid of them.

Comment

yes its forecast for baking hot down south all week, good news for my plants that are outside

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X