Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sequential sowing of peas/beans

especially mangetoute.

Does this work? I'd like to prolong the season.

Also, what are the likelihood of planting more now getting me any yield later in the summer?

Should be doable as long as you can get them growing OK by watering thoroughly, they won't stand dry roots. Choose early or first early types as these mature more quickly than the later ones.

Comment

I'll be starting some more mangetout next week (Fruits week). I grow Bijou mangetout (Real seeds) all year round.. Most times it works!!

Comment

Peas tend to get mildewed here if sown late, so I don't bother with those, but it is worth sowing more dwarf French beans now, specially if your climbers aren't doing that well in the heat.

Comment

I've got three sets of peas in various stages and some more will be going in a guttering trench in a day or two. First set were late anyway so are only just setting pods now, batch 2 are about 18 inches tall, and batch 3 are about 2-3 inches.

I'll happily grow peas as shoots for salads though, so even a late sowing come early September won't go to waste.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I grow several varieties of peas through the year, starting with Meteor and Douce Provence which are early varieties that I am eating now. These are followed by Hurst Greenshaft which is a maincrop, just starting to produce peas now. I find sowing at 2 week intervals can give 3 crops of Hurst, which tends to produce all its pods within a couple of weeks from a single sowing. After that you get problems with mildew so I grow 2 more varieties - Terrain, which is slightly mildew resistant, and Geisha which has fewer leaves and therefore seems less bothered by mildew. Both of these will produce a crop if sown in June providing they get a reasonable amount of sun - expect to harvest around the end of August.

I always start my peas indoors to prevent problems with mice eating the seeds or slugs eating the new shoots - at this time of year there would be no opportunity to replace a sowing that failed.
            Last edited by Penellype; 25-06-2018, 11:36 AM.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

We have no luck at all with our peas this year. My husband planted some in pots indoors and some straight into the ground. Poor results from March sowings so he tried again in mid April, a few germinated but most just seemed to rot in the pots. We bought new seeds three weeks ago to attempt again but whilst a few have germinated, we are still disappointed. Getting late now to try again but advice for next year would be good.

Comment

Rotting in pots usually mean overwatering.

Comment

Have you tested the ph of the soil KG?

They like a relative neutral soil around 7 if it's too acid 6 and below they struggle to germinate. You might also find that the birds or mice are having a feast. Cut some lengths of dead brambles and lay in the seed bed between your peas to deter mice, and cover with some mesh to deter the birds.

Normally I water the bed not the peas but, at this time of year I still water every couple of days to keep the soil moist until they are up and running.
                  Last edited by Mikey; 26-06-2018, 09:07 AM.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

SWMBO planted a bag of dried peas in April/May, but for some unknown reason didn't plant the whole bag and was left with about 15 seeds.
                    I've no idea what she thought she was going to do with just 15 seeds.

anyhow 2 weeks ago, I dropped these in to a cup with a splash of water, and within 48 hours most had sprouted. They were than placed in to plugs in the greenhouse, to give them a kickstart.

I planted them in with the other peas at the weekend.

Hopefully, a late crop.

Comment

I grow tall Telephone peas and they seem to have a long growing season so long as I keep picking them they keep on producing.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X