Cucumber troubles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber troubles

Hey, first time poster here but I’ve read lots of useful advice here over the past couple of months.

I moved into a new house that came with a greenhouse. Have never been much of a gardener but felt I needed to make use of the greenhouse. I’ve been growing cucumbers in grow bags using a hozelock self watering tray. I’ve already had 10+ cucumbers but recently the plants have turned a light green and the smaller fruit at the top of the plant is either completely withered or yellow.

I suspect I maybe having been feeding the cucumbers often enough. My question is could I cut the stem off at the point where the fruit is dying and let one of the side shoots grow out and hope it will grow and produce healthy fruit? Would that work?

I’m very new to all this so all advice is welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to the vine Stevo87.

I find cucumbers sometimes do this - they produce fruit for a while, then seem to get tired and need a break. Check the plant thoroughly in case you have missed a fruit as fully developed fruit left on the plant will tend to stop it from producing any more. I wouldn't cut it as cucumbers are sensitive and can die quite easily, but give it a feed and see what happens. The ones I have grown that have behaved like this have usually started to produce cucumbers again.

Another possibility is it could be rather hot. If your greenhouse has no shading the plant may benefit from a piece of mesh or fleece draped over the sunniest window. They also like being misted with water - you can use one of those spray bottles that household cleaners come in (well washed, of course!).
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a try and hope I can get a few more cucumbers out of them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X