Growing veg in the winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing veg in the winter

I have never grown veg in the autumn/winter but would like to try this year.Have thought about potatoes but not sure about what else.I have a walk in wonderwall which is excellent as it stops the pigeons eating all the shoots as they come through.We live near Edinburgh.

Hi Pwlynch,
    One of my aims for this year is to grow some stuff for winter too, as that is something I didn’t think about last year (last year was my first growing season on the plot).
    I got most of my ideas from a ‘dig for victory’ crop planner I found online - a copy of WW2 version. Stuff like swede, turnips, winter and spring cabbages , kale can all be sown now. I was also hoping to try some winter lettuce/corn salad/oriental greens- some in Gh, some outdoors, and see what works!
    I have heard of people growing ‘Christmas potatoes’ in a gh or tunnel too, which you have already mentioned.

Comment

Elliot Colman has written a couple of books - "Winter Harvest Handbook" and "Four Season Harvest".
      Charles Dowding wrote "How to Grow Winter Vegetables" and "salad leaves for all seasons"
      Check your library to see if they have copies
      Last edited by Jay-ell; 30-06-2018, 07:34 AM.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Potatoes will be no good unless you can keep them frost free. However, you can sow things like swede, winter cabbage, oriental greens, kohlrabi, beetroot, chinese celery, parsley, coriander and corn salad for winter - these are hardy although they appreciate some protection if it gets very cold. You can also try winter lettuces, but make sure that you choose one of the varieties that says winter - these need less light than the summer varieties and will need a cloche or greenhouse to protect them from cold.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Leeks and purple sprouting broccoli are usually 2 reliable over wintering crops.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Not to mention Cauliflowers, again make sure it's winter hardy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X