Tomato Growth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato Growth

I've noticed something I haven't seen before on my Gardeners Delight plants. At the flower truss end the plant has continued to grow into a branch again. Some have even started to grow a second truss of flowers. Surely this isn't normal? Should these continuing branches be cut off after the flower truss?
    The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Happens sometimes - I wouldn't worry about it - you may need to tie some string round the trusses for extra support as occasionally the weight of the extra fruit is enough to rip the whole lot off the vine.

Comment

So just leave them alone? It won't sap the rest of the plant? I was a bit worried about the weight, this plant may end up looking like a cat's cradle!

Comment

No it won't harm the rest of the plant, except in the sense that each plant will have a maximum weight of crop the roots can support, but as long as the leaves look healthy, I'd let it get on with it.

The alternative is to cut the extra flower trusses off before the fruit sets, as its growing the fruit which takes up most of the plant's resources - producing flowers is only a small amount of effort by comparison.

PS looks aren't everything - I'm no oil painting but I still function some of the time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Python15 View Post
          I've noticed something I haven't seen before on my Gardeners Delight plants. At the flower truss end the plant has continued to grow into a branch again. Some have even started to grow a second truss of flowers. Surely this isn't normal? Should these continuing branches be cut off after the flower truss?
          Yes, it's not unusual. If you left it long enough, the tip will try and grow upwards as if it's a new plant. Simplest thing is just to pinch out the grow tip at the end. Then the remaining leaves won't weigh the truss down, but you're stopping the truss wasting energy trying to grow a new plant from itself.

Comment

Thanks guy's, worries now settled.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X