Butterbush Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterbush Question

I have one butternut (Butterbush) that is growing a treat but should I remove some of the flowers (it has lot) and or leaves so the fruit can develope?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	2406477

Name:	IMG_0273.JPG
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2406478

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2406479
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

That's looking a very happy plant
    Personal I'd leave the flowers. They never all get pollinated. I'm probably not the right person to comment. I've not managed to grow a butternut..........EVER! .

Comment

I am also growing butternut squash(never grown it before) So I will be inserted in knowing what other say.
      Carrie

Comment

Lovely looking plant, Lumpy.

Leaves provide the plant with nourishment, so I'd leave them. In fact, the fruit might even appreciate the shade this year. No point cooking them this early on!

As for the flowers, how many formed fruit have you got on the plant?

Comment

I justet them get on with it, had 8 fruits on one last year and all a decent size, feed and water are the essentials

Comment

After several re-counts just to try and come to the same number twice the grand total is -

7 fruit varying in sizr from one to 4 inch.
            15 flowers that do have tiny butternut shaped bums.
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Our experience of Butterbush is that it can stand lots of fruit, as the fruit don't get that big. It's the only variety we've ever got to fruit though!

Comment

I’m really impressed with the Butterbush. They don’t take over the garden, survive against the odds and give smaller fruits suitable for 2

Comment

My butternut squashes flowers keep falling off. Think I might have to start hand pollinating them.
                  Carrie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X