Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant Garlic

Hi Guys,

I hope everyone's plots are producing well.

I have a couple of elephant garlic questions. This years crop has been really good - upwards of 80 bulbs - though I'm planning on increasing my crop next year so keeping at least a quarter of them as seed. Bulb size has been mixed - but I'll keep the biggest cloves to plant again.

1. Are there any issues in planting elephant garlic in the same bed for two or three years in a row? I don;t think there is but just asking if anyone has experience of this.

2. What's the best way of ensuring the corms germinate. I know that they take two years to mature into a bulb but has anyone had consistent success in getting these to develop? I know some of mine have previously grown but it's been very hit and miss. I'm tempted to soak them overnight before planting to reduce the hardness of that outer shell.

many thanks for any advice.

I find that the growth of corms is very hit and miss - I guess that as the last grasp at survival they don't want to sprout too easily.

I've tried planting them straight away before the shell hardens, soaking and nicking the hard shell but none seem to guarantee that they'll shoot this season.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

AS Jayell says,i to have tried a few years ago to get the babies to grow,but no luck,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I'm now putting the corms into a designated area of the garden (permanent EG patch) and then harvesting the plants from there when they've grown up a bit. Should be ready next year to try transplanting the larger plants into the garlic bed to see how big they grow.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          I'm now putting the corms into a designated area of the garden (permanent EG patch) and then harvesting the plants from there when they've grown up a bit. Should be ready next year to try transplanting the larger plants into the garlic bed to see how big they grow.
          That's a good idea - I'll try that.
          Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X