Bad time of year to buy seeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad time of year to buy seeds?

I just ordered some seeds from Moreveg. Then i thought to myself (after clicking 'buy' ) "is this really a good time of year to be buying seeds?". Are seeds sold at this time of year just leftovers from last year's stock? Surely it's too early in the year for many types of seeds to have been dried, collected etc? When does the 'new' seed appear on the market?
    He-Pep!

Most new packets of seeds will be fine, as they come in sealed foil packets these days, so don't lose much in terms of germination until they are opened.

Being mean I tend to leave buying until I see some on sale in one of the bargain buckets, then just top up any extras I haven't got at the last minute via the internet.

Comment

Apart from Parsnips, I often buy seed in the sales around now.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
        Apart from Parsnips, I often buy seed in the sales around now.
        Yep, the Vale will be having their 50 p sale soon , happy days just visit every day if close enough

plus, ive just sown beetroot from 2012, id say around 80% germinated so worth a try for 50 p
        Last edited by jackarmy; 02-08-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-03 Seeds at 20p a pack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	2379849

Pound Stretcher selling off their seeds at 20p a pack Use by dates 2020 and 2021
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Yep, I haunt the sales, Wilko any day now, when they get their Hallowe’en displays up
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

poundstretcher seeds are 20p now, and b&m have a all seeds half price, as well as buy 2 get 1 free, I saved £9 yesterday,
              (these shops are in ashton but others should follow suit soon if not already)
              off to Wilkos and b&q for a nosey tomorrow x
              Last edited by lynda66; 18-08-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I've also been buying Russian and Siberian seeds cheap from eBay figuring they grow better when it's cold and wet ... typical it has been neither this year, so they didn't do that well

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                  I've also been buying Russian and Siberian seeds cheap from eBay figuring they grow better when it's cold and wet ... typical it has been neither this year, so they didn't do that well
                  Might be an idea to sow them now, could do well.
                  Rob

Comment

I wait until middle of January when Dobbie's half price sale starts. Spend ages over the winter planning what to grow and then it all goes haywire.
                    Bob.

Comment

No time is a bad time to buy seeds, especially if they're on sale!

Seriously though, if you store your seeds properly from date of purchase, and rotate sowing the oldest first, chances are they'd be fine.

Point to note I dunked a whole pack of Tamar Organics spinach Matador seeds FOUR years out of date into 3 'lil troughs. What a disaster, every one grew, they fought each other I didn't thin and then got baby spinach. To boot some progeny seeds fell, and have now germinated.
                      https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by robbra View Post
                        Might be an idea to sow them now, could do well.
                        Rob
                        bit late already planted them all lol there weren't many in most of the packets ... may need some further thinking on timings.

Comment

Now. Is a great time to buy seeds - reduced to clear and just as good as if you bought them last spring!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X