Tiny beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny beetroot

Well I have had some beetroot at least but after following the Charles Dowding method of planting in small clumps and harvesting them one by one, giving a chance for the others to mature it hasn't worked. I fed with BFB but got tiny, thin wispy roots to golf ball size at the biggest, What went wrong as I made sure they were well watered. The yellow variety seem to have done so much better than boltardy that...er....bolted in some cases.

I will also say that the yellow ones are very sweet and delicious.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180808_11_08_45_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	2406530

Name:	WP_20180808_11_08_53_Pro.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2406531

They look good to me!! I always pull them small as I think they're nicer that size. Bigguns can be tough and woody.
    If they were mine I'd be patting myself on the back and saying Well done.

Comment

Same as onions more BFB.............................
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Will the small ones grow a bit more before the season ends if I feed them BFB ?

Comment

They well might.

But I use an old saying 'If it can't do harm it can only do now't or good' we know it can't do any harm so it's worth a try.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Perfect size for roasting Marb, i no longer grow Boltardy as a main crop because I find them unreliable...Titan is a good alternative

Comment

You need to stop worrying Marb.
              This morning I pulled up these octopus. They are obviously ready for a fancy dress party dressed as cousin it

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	2380012

It's still a growing success because they are edible

Tiny beetroot are great for pickling

Comment

Those look really ugly.

Marb. I've used a similar method. I've put 2 'seeds' in each of 40 very small pots in trays. I think they were from Aldi but a few places sell them. When they germinated, I planted them out about 2" to 3" apart, sometimes splitting if several strong in one cell. So ended up with double row of about 12'. I've been using the thinings now for quite a few weeks and the rows still look full. Latest pickings from 1st Aug pictured on an upside down small wash basin. The root system never seems as sturdy when transplanted but they seem to grow perfectly OK.

Name:	beetroot.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2380016

I generally just use compost from our compost heap. These are from a new raised bed (first I've ever made) that was put on an very stony area (that grew big weeds though) and was filled with stuff from the compost heap so was very fertile. I'm expecting the row to stay looking full for a long time yet so no reason why yours should not grow quite a bit yet. I like detroit variety they are nice and sweet and last year I had some weighing more than 1kg in the end that were perfectly edible (once cooked). When I have used fertilizer on anything (mainly greenhouse crops) I alternate between comfrey water (a 200l water butt stuffed full of comfrey leaves then filled with water and left a couple of weeks) and miracle grow. The comfrey seems to strengthen the plants while the miracle grow seems to give them an overall growth spurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  You need to stop worrying Marb.
                  This morning I pulled up these octopus. They are obviously ready for a fancy dress party dressed as cousin it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82492[/ATTACH]

It's still a growing success because they are edible

Tiny beetroot are great for pickling
                  I knew I'd seen those Beetroot before:
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X