Pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin

This is my first time growing pumpkins, at present I have three reasonable sized pumpkins, large football size, and one small one that has turned yellow, can I harvest this and cook with it, or would I be better just to put it in the bin
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

How small is small ?
    Have you given it a gentle squeeze? possibly not pollinated properly.

Comment

It's cricket ball size and as its also soft I have removed it from the plant my main consent now is the cold, I am wondering how cold it can go down to before it stops the growth of the other three, or the need to remove them
      Last edited by rary; 13-08-2018, 09:35 AM.
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Only remove them if there's a risk of frost. Leave them on the plant!!!
        Depending on variety some with be stopping growing and be starting to ripen. Others will still be growing for a while longer yet.
        What's the actual plant looking like? Healthy, then high chance pumpkin is still growing. Unhealthy, starting to die back, pumpkin will probably be starting to ripen.
        They do a lot better if ripened on the plant.
        I wouldn't even start thinking about worrying until late next month.

Comment

If it isn't ORANGE and the plants still alive leave it on. Mine will be staying on till at least Oct 27th.

Are you growing them for size? What variety are they?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

The variety I am growing is Jack-O-Lantern and I want them for Halloween also the higher leaves are starting to go pale green, the lower sheltered leaves are a dark green, that's why I was concerned about the cold, fortunately the three pumpkins are all lower and sheltered and still look health

Comment

Rary stop panicking

My plant looks like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	2380065

The pumpkins look like this. Just starting to show signs of ripening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2380066

Yours is a larger variety so it's probably going to take a little longer.

Comment

Sp in that variety a pepo?

I think Jack-O-Lantern is a maxima, same as the Atlantic Giant I'm growing which starts off with yellow fruits.

Rary, if you want you can gently lift the fruit and pack straw underneath them so that they don't go soft.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                  Sp in that variety a pepo?
                  Yeah it is. It's a small sugar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...