Clear All

• do pumpkins come true with saved seed

This year I have grown
    Jack Be Little
    Mini Sugar
    Jack is a very small yellow pumpkin.
    Mini Sugar if football sized and green.
    I have had loads of both.

If I save the seeds from Jack will they grow true ??

Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Probably not. They are even more promiscuous than chillies

Comment

To have it come true you would have had to exclude bees from a male and female flower (to make sure the bees don't contaminate the males pollen) and hand pollinate then tie a string around the hand pollinated fruit so that you know which one it was.

Otherwise the female could be pollinated by any other pumpin or courgette of the same species (Jack be little is a Cucurbita Pepo, same as courgettes, but some pumpkins are Cucurbita Maxima)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Also correction
        Mini Sugar is actually Small Sugar

All pics show them yellow but mine are green ???
        Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Then they are not ripe yet and still growing!

Comment

They should both turn orange when ripe - probably September or later

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Saving seeds from this sort of plant is a bit of a lucky dip - rather than worrying about x-pollinating, F1 etc I'd just save some and see what you get next year. It may be about the same, worse or better but it will definitely be a pumpkin, and as such a magnet for mice and Cinderellas.

Comment

Look at Real Seeds site for superb instructional on seed saving, of all breeds of vegetable
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X