No announcement yet.

Name that bug

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary bit here about the larvae feeding on human or animal blood!
    Red Velvet Mite - a garden friend
    I don't remember seeing any recently but do remember them from when I was little, perhaps they were more common then? They are described as a friend though & the adults feed on decaying vegetation etc.
    Just noticed I think it's the same link as Happymouffe's, still scary though!
    Last edited by SueA; 10-04-2008, 11:51 AM.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hmm. So either it " feeds on vegetable matter" or "Tiny insects and other mites" depending on where you look. It does look as if it's some sort of trombidium though. I emailed the RHS to ask. Will let you know what they say

Comment

The word from an entomologist at the RHS - it's a friend

The small red creatures that you found in your garden are commonly known as velvet mites, Allothrombium fuliginosum. This animal overwinters as adult mites in the soil and it is most frequently found at this time of year when it is seen crawling over the soil surface. It is not a harmful mite as the early stages feed as external parasites on certain insects, particularly aphids. The older mite nymphs and the adults feed as predators on aphids. Velvet mites are widely distributed in Britain and may have some effect in reducing aphid infestations, although their impact is likely to be much less than that of other aphid predators, such as ladybirds and hoverfly larvae.

Comment

Every bit helps against aphids! Cool bug to have it would appear.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thanks for this, I was having trouble identifying these and worrying that they could be bird mites out to bite my hens!

Comment

Cool - I'm sure I saw one on the lottie at the weekend!

Comment

Red Velvet Mite? Risk it - it mite not!
                When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X