Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had any experience of hedge laying?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had any experience of hedge laying?

I will be trying to fit in a few phone calls, in my all too busy life today, to try and find a hedge layer. Yesterday I was advised by a tree surgeon that the large tree that needs loping and the dead tree that needs removing can be dealt with by most hedge layers and will also work out cheaper if I get them to do it especialy if we decide to get the hedgerow layed at the same time.

Anyone know what sort of costs are involved? Also will they clear alot and so make the garden less child escape proof whilst it takes? Is there anything else I should know or bear in mind?

Tammy
    Tammy x x x x
    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

National Hedgelaying Society - home page
    seems like a good starting place!
    Tx

Comment

Hedgelaying

Hi,

New to this site, so apologies for late reply.

It will depend on the style of hedgelaying - there a lots of regional / county differences. But they should keep your plot reasonably child-proof and it will thicken up quickly once it starts growing.

If you're getting a hedge-layer to fell a tree make sure he can actually do the job - got a chainsaw ticket, insurance etc - best to be safe rather than sorry.
      From a wildlife point of view, could you keep the dead tree, maybe just trim branches, but keep trunk - lots of nice habitat for beetles etc - none harmful to garden

Hope that's of some use

Comment

Pity you don't live in Devon. My son is doing mine for the sheer joy of doing it!He did a course a few years ago with the Country Parks people.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
          Pity you don't live in Devon. My son is doing mine for the sheer joy of doing it!He did a course a few years ago with the Country Parks people.
          Would he consider coming up here? We could pay his travel, materials and for his time - have around £400 to play with as thats what we have been quoted.

Its odd that this post got resurected yesterday as I started chasing up the man who was going to confirm his verbal quote in writting, as well as quoting for having the dead tree felled, yesterday!

I will possibly leave the stump for beetles etc as long as it wont get in the way of the hedgelaying.
          Tammy x x x x
          Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Have had a word with my son and he asks if you could post a picture of the hedge also how long is the hedge? He asks, take a picture close up so that he can see the trees involved also a long distance one to see the work involved.
            He tells me that if all it is is the bottom of the garden, all that will be involved will be a bow saw(he has no truck with chain saws and ruining the hedge bottom!) a slasher and a good few cans of beer!

Comment

I used to work for the charity BTCV (British Trust for Conservation Volunteers) and one of the jobs we did was hedge laying. If there is a BTCV organisation in your area you could get them to do it for a fraction of the price. Sometimes one of the project officers or the volunteers do a side line of work if you ask. The National Wildlife Trust or your local council might also be able to recommend someone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X