Do Hares get Myxamatosis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Hares get Myxamatosis

I have a Hare in my garden. I've known of it's existance for some months now.

Dunno if it's just the snow but it sits all day nibbling sedge and not really doing much.

Do you think it's ok ?

Maf go and walk towards it. If it has mixy you will see, it will scarcely move, and if you can get close enough to look at it, check its eyes and nose, they normally excrete a milky white mucus.
    Will be honest though, I'm not sure Hares do get it?? I stand to be corrected though.
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

According to the Mammal Society, no - hares are immune to myxomatosis.

If it's out in the open, it may be because the grass is too cold and wet - hares sleep in depressions in long grass, called forms, not in burrows. I would just leave it in peace

Comment

Activities: The Mammal Society

nope they don't, it's probably just cold, hares don't dig burrows, maybe you could put some nice food down for it??

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much, as soon as your veggies start to grow - he will have loads to eat..................................
          Tx

Comment

They don't actually have tea parties, that's just a myth

I would think it's just hanging about where it's sheltered and there is something nibble. If you wanted to feed it hay is probably the best option.

Comment

I don't think they do get myxomatosis to be honest.

How lucky having a hare in your garden!
              I often thought that if I had enough space I'd breed hares to help repopulate them into the wild- but I'd certainly not do that here because of all the hunting which goes on

Do you know if yours is a male or female?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It doesn't like hay ! The farmer next door is constantly spreading hay for his sheep but it prefers my field !

Maybe it's because it's the only bit of non grazed land for miles about ?

Comment

Originally posted by Maf View Post
                  It doesn't like hay ! The farmer next door is constantly spreading hay for his sheep but it prefers my field !

Maybe it's because it's the only bit of non grazed land for miles about ?
                  probably, they do prefer longer grass can it get to the grass with the snow??

mind you, i'm sure it would eat the hay rather than starve

Comment

The ones that visit our garden do, one ordered a toasted cheese sandwich and got a toasted cheese and ham one by accident

He complained that he was suffering from Mixedupmytoasties.

I'll get my coat.........................

Comment

*hands PW a hat and scarf too*, it's cold out there

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                        The ones that visit our garden do, one ordered a toasted cheese sandwich and got a toasted cheese and ham one by accident

He complained that he was suffering from Mixedupmytoasties.

I'll get my coat.........................

AAAAARGH. It was a case of hare today, gone tomorrow I take it.
                        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                        >
                        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I shall christen him 'Flik'

Comment

And before Maf posts to say it's gone,...it may be "hare today, gone tomorrow", but no, it isn't me - so please don't confuse it with "'s no hare" !
                            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X