Slow worms dilemma

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow worms dilemma

I'm proud to say that I have a whole colony of slowworms in my compost bins. However I would rather like to use the compost. I thought they had all gone last summer and turned one heap over only to cut one of their tails off. I suppose it was just too cold to want to come to the top of the heap.

My question is, is there any time of year when they are less likely to be there so that I can use and replace some of the compost - or do I just abandon the heaps? If I do disturb them will they come back?

Hi Mitzy and welcome to the vine.
    It is wonderful to have Slow Worms (Anguis fragilis). As you probably know they are not worms or snakes, but legless lizards (there has to be a joke there somewhere!) They should move on in late spring when things get a bit warmer, moving them now during hibernation could kill them.

They are protected by law against harm or sale under the wildlife and country act.

You did not cut the tail off as you thought - Slow worms like all lizards have a defence mechanism, that is to detach their tails (they will grow back) If they are still there in late spring, gently move them to a warm place and refill your bin.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Very fond of slow worms myself...we have lots on the lottie. Always be careful when strimming.

They will tend to move out of a regularly disturbed heap(as stated now is not the best time to disturb them) but I always leave a bit of plastic sheeting or old dustbin lid for them to hide under(hopefully eating lots of slugs!)

They do shed their tails, so try not to grab the by it...they are not that slow really!

Comment

I have the same problem with a rather large family of grass snakes. They live in one of my daleks and no matter how many times I ask them politely to leave, they come back.
        I normally see them through the year around the garden, and obviously when I put stuff in the bins (first time I almost had palpitations) but I leave them well alone.
        I empty my bins in the autumn, and give the bins a good rattling etc beforehand, which gives the snakes time to leave.
        After sorting the bins out and refilling with whatever hasnt composted enough, the snakes are back within a day or two.
        As was said, you probably didnt cut the tail off, they drop them as a defence mechanism.
        If you want to move them to use the compost, I would leave it for another month or so to let them warm up enough, give them some notice by stamping about the area and banging etc, and they will go, but they should come back.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

slow worms are currently hibernating they will move out when the weather warms up,usually about the time you start to see hedgehogs about again,assuming you have hedgehogs.
          slow worms give birth to live young in late spring so do not use the heap for egg incubation like grass snakes do.
          if you start a new heap next to the old one and empty the compost carefully in the spring they will move over,a heap of old logs or sticks with a dustbin lid or metal sheet partly overlapping it in a sunny position will give them smewhere to warm up and hide under.warm slow worms are more active and eat and digest more slugs
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Thanks every one - that is really helpful. I don't want to lose my slow worms so I reckon if I shift one bin at a time (I have 3 in a row) and give them plenty of time to move then that should do it. Didn't realise they have live young - I was worried about smashing eggs. Pleased to know I didn't chop a tail off - made me feel really sick at the time! We haven't got hedgehogs as we feed lots of badgers and hedgehogs are their favourite snack! That and peanuts.

Comment

You're so lucky! I love Sloworms, they're such nice creatures!
              http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X