• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bats!

Have just seen my first bats this year. Four of them doing a circuit
    AKA Angie

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
    Have just seen my first bats this year. Four of them doing a circuit
    Yay! They're great arent they! I was out the other week with my bat detector listening to them! There's a Soprano Pipistrelle roost somewhere near my house (and possibly some roosting under my houses' slates too) .
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've not heard of a bat detector, what is it?
      AKA Angie

Comment

Saw my first of the year on Friday of last week! Fantastic......
        Would love to buy a detector one day!
        How can you tell the different types apart? By their sound I know, but are the detectors good enough to pick up the difference?

Comment

In my last house we had a colony of Pipistrelles living in a hollow ash tree.
          It was great to watch them in the evening.
          I'll need to keep my eyes open and see what I can see here.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
            I've not heard of a bat detector, what is it?
            Have a look at this link: Alana Ecology Bat Detectors Mine isn't really mine, it's the local bat groups, of which I'm a member, I'd highly recommend a bat box duet if you can afford it. However, this is the cheaper type, which I'm sure would be good for a beginner, though I've never used it: Alana Ecology Magenta Bat4 Bat Detector You change the frequency on the detector to listen to different types of bats (their calls are mostly outwith human hearing).

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
            Saw my first of the year on Friday of last week! Fantastic......
            Would love to buy a detector one day!
            How can you tell the different types apart? By their sound I know, but are the detectors good enough to pick up the difference?
            I've only used a few types of dectector (admitedlly not the budget ones) and they are brilliant to help you get the different frequency's and sounds.

The most common bats in England are the Common Pipistrelles, their peak frequency is 45 kHz and are often known as 45 Pips, next is the Soprano Pipistrelle (most common in Scotland to be difficult) and their peak frequency is 55 kHz and are also called 55 Pips. However, you can't just rely on frequency to identify the different types of bats, you also need to know the beat/rhythm etc of the calls, the habitat they live in and the way the fly/behave. For example, one of the best is Daubenton's which have a machine gun sounding call, peak frequency about 45 kHz and you can generally see them flying low over the water catching insects.

If you want to know more about bats then look at the BCT website: UK Bat Species - Bat Conservation Trust , you can find your nearest bat group too if you want to join to find out more and see bats close up!

Hmmm, just read what I've written and I sound like an advert for bats!!
            Last edited by Jenegade; 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM.
            http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

We have bats that live in an apple tree in our front garden and I think in our thatch. I have no idea what they are but I love to watch them on a spring evening. Havnt seen them so far this year though so I hope we're not too far behind you on that score.

Cheers Mas
              '3000 volts says the ducks
              are mine foxey !'

Comment

Watched our first bat last night as the light was going. Only one so far but usually get 3 or 4 flitting around the garden. great to watch whilst enjoying a cuppa after a long day

Comment

We have one living in our attic, he (or she) is called Fidgett after the one in Basil the great mouse detective He (or she) does a great job of hoovering up the mozzies from the pond and the other flying bugs.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Lucky Nick! I want some pleeeease...
                    Last edited by Headfry; 14-04-2009, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                      We have one living in our attic, he (or she) is called Fidgett after the one in Basil the great mouse detective He (or she) does a great job of hoovering up the mozzies from the pond and the other flying bugs.

LOL I love the name! Does it make a lot of noise (I don't mean whilst hoovering)?
                      AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X