Visitors in my Garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors in my Garden

We have been watching the goings of a scruffy fox at the top of our garden for a few weeks now. He is often out and about and we managed to film him sloping about and returning to his den. This morning we were at the top of the garden deciding on some planting schemes when we heard rustling sounds then 2 baby cubs emerged. They stopped and looked for awhile and then returned to the den. OH has had the camera ready all day hoping they will pop out for another visit. I know that foxes are regarded as a menace but we have never had a problem with them and these cubs were so cute.

Since moving to this house last summer we have been amazed at the amount of wildlife. We had many butterlies last summer and a few already this year. We had frogs last year in a overgrown wet spot and also 3 very large slow worms that certainly made me jump.

We have long tailed tits nesting, robins who visit regularly, doves canoodling and singing blackbirds. We encourage the visitors and seem to have flowers that the bees enjoy. The only visitors who spoil the peace here are the noisy seagulls!

After living in London it has been such a treat to find this seaside/country spot.

Its interesting to know what wildlife visitors you have to your garden.

BB
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

No foxes here, thankfully (I keep bantams), though the one who visits our allotment site is more than welcome if he keeps the rabbits away! Also on our lottie we get frogs and lizards (Lacerta vivipara), as well as some very friendly blackbirds and robins

At home I've often seen/heard hedgehogs, and we have a pair of collared doves nesting on the old satellite dish by the bedroom window!
    Last edited by Eyren; 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM.

Comment

just had help identifying.... think this counts

A Slow Worm Also have a Robin....
      Attached Files
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

We get lots of birds and a few hedgehogs , frogs & toads. Just spotted a wren nesting in the Ivy on the shed this morning. Magpies are nesting in the Sycamore tree. Had a Redpoll visiting on the birch tree today.

Comment

This Easter weekend was good for our little garden.... bats, newt, hedgehogs, Blackcap, reed bunting, Buzards (5) and red kite flying overhead! along with usual blackbirds, robins, bluetits, pigeons, collard doves, jackdaws, starlings, and sparrows really good for a tiny garden!

Comment

I am amazed as well on the variety of wildlife in my tiny garden... note : North London zone 2 !!
            Since I do all I can to transform it to a wildlife friendly spot, ( compare to my neighbors who just leave everything barren ) all kind of birds are now rewarding me with their visits .
            Everyday I have Robin the robin, couple of blackbirds that are becoming very friendly, newts, blacktits, bluetits, and also beautiful goldfinches
            I love insect and every year I can count many more than the previous year... already spotted at least 5 different bees/bumblebees and all sorts of tiny wasps. With the pond this year I am hopping for frogs and dragonfly.... dreamer

Comment

Over winter we had a newt hibernating in the dog basket (in the office outside), we are constantly shooeing out blackbirds from the kitchen (eating the dog food) and now the house martins have arrived we have to keep the window at the top of the stairs closed because they land on the window ledge and we also have a house martins nest in the potting shed, the fields on both sides have skylarks and there is a resident starling that makes a noise like a mobile phone which is great fun

Comment

Sounds great TEB
                I have just ordered some more mealworms to feed the robins that seem to be coming more and more. I spend hours watching the birds in the garden, we are lucky to be in a wildlife valley area but still close to the sea.
                BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X