Unwanted Visitors

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted Visitors

Lately I've been noticing some of my container plants, notably garlic and radishes, are being dug up and something roots around my soil. I put this down to one of three things and hoped for some guidance on how to stop it.

One, I seem to have a mouse/mice in my compost bin. I have started soaking it daily to drive them out, but these could be the culprits?

Two, a few squirrels often hang about my garden.

Three, a number of pigeons seem to hang about.

Any suggestions?

Iwould guess squirrels
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Probably squirrels - pigeons might pull up the garlic by its shoots and nibble the radish leaves, but they wouldn't dig (unlike chickens!!). I would fasten some mesh over each container and let the plants grow through it - wire mesh of about 1" gauge would be ideal, as it will (hopefully) be too strong for a squirrel to bite through but with big enough holes not to inconvenience the plants too much. Not pretty, but better than no crops at all!

Comment

Blackbirds can make an awful mes of potted up tubs.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

LAst year i had foxes diggin up my beds to bury stuff. You can usually smell when they have been around though.

Comment

I'm definately going with squirrel. Today I found my new strawberry plants in hanging baskets have disappeard and there's compost everywhere. :-(

Comment

My dad is having the same problem, but saw a Blackbird in the act.!
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X