Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasp deterrent

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I'd like to thank you all for the help and tips I've gained from this forum over the past weeks.

I'm new to gardening and have just started growing my own veg in pots, waiting to move into our new house (when the solicitors have finished faffing around) and I will have a small plot to grow more.

My oh is allergic to wasp stings and I would like some help and suggestions on how to deter wasps from the garden. I'd rather not go down the route of killing them as I know they can be beneficial to the surrounding gardens.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Vine Dfurn.
    I've put on a link to something you might want to try. I don't know how good it is but I'm planning to try it myself.
    The Waspinator - Wasp Deterant for your Home and Garden

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm really not sure how to deter wasps, but there are some nice glass wasp traps in Sainsbury's at the mo.

It stands slightly off the ground, with a hole in the bottom, and you put sugary water inside, when the wasp climbs in, it is stuck inside. I think the idea is to kill them, but i suppose if you are feeling daring, you could whip the top off and run like the wind.

sorry if this isn't very helpfull

Comment

When we had a wasps nest in our eaves, right above where our patio doors are, I googled for info about wasps. I seem to remember that some of the stuff suggested to keep them away (not to do with nests) was don't eat jam/sweet stuff outdoors, etc...

I can't remember exactly what I read now, sorry, but if you google there's lots of info. I think the point being they've no reason to be around you bothering you if you haven't anything they 'want' or are attracted to. TBH even with a wasps nest above our heads we had no more trouble with them than any other time.
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 23-04-2009, 05:55 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Wasps aren't a problem until late summer, when they become attracted to ripening fruit and picnics.
          If you don't want them hanging around, don't eat or drink outside, and don't leave ripe fruit on the bushes.

We now have a wasp trap whenever we have a BBQ ... they crawl inside and leave us alone
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            Welcome to the Vine Dfurn.
            I've put on a link to something you might want to try. I don't know how good it is but I'm planning to try it myself.
            The Waspinator - Wasp Deterant for your Home and Garden

Alice, just checked this out and looks like the feedback is good too

Waspinator

I will be ordering these tonight! Have to worth £10 to try!

Dee
            "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

I've just ordered mine DeezyB. Looking forward to a wasp free zone.

Comment

Give us all a report on how well it works, would you please Alice?

Comment

Yes, SBP, I'll let you all know how I get on with the Waspinator.

Comment

please do, having been stung under the eye by one i hate them around me and would love a deterant
                    'REMEMBER, AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS WE ARE A NORMAL FAMILY!'

Comment

Cut the top of a plastic bottle and lay the top upside down in the bottom of the bottle, then put some jam or something in the bottle. The wasps go in but can't get out at they always go to the highest point, which is the sides then just fill it full of water and leave them to it

Comment

Originally posted by IgglePiggle
                        ...The wasps go in but can't get out at they always go to the highest point, which is the sides then just fill it full of water and leave them to it
                        That doesn't keep them away though. You have to hope they don't come looking for you first aye? I think I prefer to scare them off rather than un-necessarily kill them.

Comment

The problem with traps is that they tend to kill the wasp and I'm sure that a wasp must be good for something. The second is that it may well lure bees to their death as well and we need all the bees we can get. The waspinator sounds a good alternative.

Ian

Comment

The problem I have at the moment IgglePiggle is that the minute I open my conservatory doors a wasp flies in. And later in the year, as soon as I take any food or drinks outdors they think they have been invited to the feast. I don't want to kill them. I just want peace in my own garden and to keep them away. I hope the waspinator will do that for me by natural means.

Comment

Wasp Deterrent

Take a paper bag as big as your head and blow it up. Tie off the end so it retains its shape and hang it near where you do not want them to go. The wasps will think it is an enemy nest and stay away. However, wasps are not stupid, just a little slow, so when you have finished whatever it is you do not want the wasps to participate in, take down the bag otherwise they will see through the ruse.

From the BBC web site (posted in 1999)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X