ponds, pumps and stuff

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ponds, pumps and stuff

I'm thinking of putting a small pond by the veggie patch to attract frogs and insects. I;ve been reading back through previous posts and am now completely overloaded with information!

I'd be interested in feedback on some of these points

baby bath/washing up bowl/belfast sink

any body had success or otherwise with these? any preference?

fountain/waterfall

are they necessary or even desirable for a wildlife pond?

Pumps
    assuming moving water is a good idea. It is a long way to get the power to the back of the garden, I have been reading about solar pumps. Are they any good? is it worth paying more for a decent one?

One day I will be able to make a decision!

What a brilliant idea! I wouldn't bother with a either a fountain or a waterfall unless you propose to keep fish, as this aids the oxygenation of water. That said, it would probably help eliminate one unwanted insect, namely the mosquito larvae that will most definately inhabit still water. You won't have to buy specific pond plants as several garden plants will happily grow in water, namely many ornamental grasses like carex, tuberous irises and papyrus, which many people keep as an indoor plant. Put some rocks in to allow wildlife to get in and out, whilst the plants establish. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks, my husband is obsessed by the idea we will be overun with mosquitoes, so maybe the moving water will help my persuade him

Comment

A pump is not necessary for a wildlife pond but ou will need to get a good balance of plantlife to keep a decent water quality, the larger the pond the easier it is to get a balance.

Comment

A pump will not stop or remove mosquito larvae,nor will running water,but if you are talking of a very small pond as you've suggested,you are unlikely to get many any way.In something as small as you've suggested,you don't want large plants,it will just get swamped and become a plant pot.Why not put something edible in the corner in a plant pot,like watercress for example.

Comment

My neighbour decided to turn an old shallow cast iron pot, a mere 2' 6" in diameter, into a decorative water feature and within a week of filling it was alive with mosquito larvae, but when he added a water fountain, it was mozzie-free within a few days. Probably got sucked into the filter and stayed there!

Comment

Mosquitos need still water to lay their eggs. They won't use moving water.

Comment

If you look in Wickepedia you will find they do breed in moving water,they like water to be warm,not still.

Comment

I checked wikipedia and it says "Aedes can also breed in running water, so stagnant pools of water are not its only breeding sites. ". I read that as the sub species Aedes can breed in running water, implying the rest can't.

It also states:-

"These techniques are accomplished using habitat modification, such as removing stagnant water and other breeding areas, pesticide like DDT, natural predators, (eg Dragonflies, larvae-eating fish), and trapping. Garlic Oil concentrate will repel mosquitos for up to 4 weeks.". Note the removing stagnant water bit.

Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

I've been bitten by the females alongside many a running river when fishing all over europe,wished the blighters would stick to stagnant pools as I don't fish there!!

Comment

just driving past the charity shop and saw a big baby bath

it is now in my garden waiting for its new life as a frog home..

I am so excited!

*note to self..must get a life!*

Comment

im in the gardening buisness and often get asked to build wildlife ponds.wildlife ponds and the associated plant life attract many gardeners friends like hedgehogs,frogs, toads and newts. all insect eating predators. with the plants attracting hoverflys and dragonflys and such which also eat pests like greenflys etc. mosquitos will breed in even the smallest bodys of water so they are lightly to be on most peoples allotments in water butts etc if you feel that you need to use some measures to be rid of them in your pond then i would suggest introducing a few sticklebacks, these small fish will be able to eat the lava but are too small to predate amphibian tadpoles.
                        construct a ramp of stones to help any hedgehogs escape drowning
                        use indiginous plants in and around the pond stuff like ragged robin Lychnis flos-cuculi,yellow flag Iris pseudacorus and meadow sweet Filipendula ulmariaare ideal
                        if you have space sink a large plastic pot without holes in it near the pond and fill with rich soil and water, plant it with the water mint, mentha aquatica. all insects love this rather invasive bog plant

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X