Chive flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chive flowers

I have 2 massive clumps of chives between my potato planters and they are a riot of purple flowers at the moment.

I have just spent a happy few minutes watching all the bumblebees and other insects buzzing around them.

I am a woman of simple pleasures

I was in my friends garden the other day and I was asking about her purple flowers - if she knew what they were as i have loads in my garden. She just laughed at me and said they were chives.

I love them as i love any purple flower, little did i know they were chives as i have loads more in the greenhouse planted and waiting for them to come up
    www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

They are lovely in an informal bunch of flowers. (Just maybe a touch oniony but not enough to put me off!)
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They make a very pretty addition to salad and are lovely as a garnish on plates of sandwiches and cheese boards.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I went back out to look at mine and there was a bee on it, pollen sacs full - what a lovely sight

Tracy
          www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

I have probably a dozen clumps of chives dotted around. They grow well on my shallow, poor, dry soil, making a nice addition to summer colours and the chive flowers seem very popular with the bees.
            As I've mentioned on a few other threads, I try to create a bee-friendly garden, with an all-year-round supply of plants they love - and no chemicals.

There are a few rumours around that chives reduce certain fruit/veg pest problems, which is a nice bonus if it really works, although it's difficult to prove.

Comment

Love chive flowers in our herb boxes on the terrace and as FF says, they are really good in salads, especially with some of the other more colourful flowers added. And with saladini, a reall complement to their hotter taste.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterqueen View Post
                I have just spent a happy few minutes watching all the bumblebees and other insects buzzing around them.
                I am a woman of simple pleasures
                Read this when I got home from work and thought I should go and take pleasure in my garden for a few minutes before starting the meal. Put on a waterproof and headed outside, maybe I was in the wrong kind of mood, but I swear I could see the nettles growing Maybe today will be better!
                Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

try chive tempura! dip the flowers still on the stork into your batter then dip them into the deep fat fryer! delish....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X