Narrow escape!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow escape!

My FIL was just out in the garden emptying my compost for me and told me how a hawk had just brought down a pigeon in my garden. The pigeon had escaped as FIL's entrance onto the scene had scared off the hawk.

The poor little thing (it's only a baby, but fledged) is cowering between my plant pots (I'm hoping it won't get tangled in the strawberry netting - I'll keep an eye on it but don't want to stress/frighten it any more now).

Is there anything I can do to help it? Should I take it in and nurse it for a bit? There doesn't seem to be any blood, but there are a few feathers.

Oh, quick update. The pigeon seems happy walking around my patio - even peeped in the doors at me. It's hiding behind the tomato plants now. Awww.
    Singleton Allotments Society
    Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

...and the poor hawk has just missed out on his breakfast????

( I gather you've never had your fruit bushes or broad bean flowers decimated
    by pigeons then????)

..but aww...life's tough out there isn't it????.....poor lucky little thing!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My mum put quite a lot of effort into attracting a lot of ornithological wildlife into her garden by hanging a variety of feeders, bird tables and bird baths around the place.
      After a few months, while eating breakfast, she excitedly called us all to the kitchen window to observe a Greater Spotted Woodpecker on one of the feeders. It quickly became the prize of the garden and reared a chick, which we watched grow for several weeks and start flying around the garden,.
      One day we came home from school to see a sparrowhawk swoop across the garden, pick the woodpecker chick out of the air and proceed to disembowel it in the front garden.

The woodpecker parent and sparrowhawk were never again seen in the garden.

I think this was a good lesson on life for a youngster at the time!
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

This is my first year gardening, so not really. I have netting over my fruit though!
        Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Quick, tie the squab down so the hawk can have another go

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Never mind the hawk having another go, have a go yourself!! I can recommend a red wine, thyme and rosemary jus with squab!

Comment

Poor Sonata! I'd make sure it had access to some drinking water if I were you. It's parents are probably nearby so I wouldn't disturb it too much. (yes I'm a soft touch)

Comment

Aww, poor thing was still there this evening and didn't seem able to fly. So I've set up my old (very large) rat cage outside with some cardboard on top, a cardboard box and fleece inside, a large slug (in case it gets peckish), some water, a bowl of moistened porridge/weetabix and some crushed cornflakes. It seems very friendly and my toddler is fascinated!

I'm a soft touch too, Becki! I think it's actually a young one that has left the nest (saw others like it nearby and they seemed to be courting)..no sign of the parents.

Comment

Bless it, is it still there today?

Comment

Yep, he doesn't seem able to fly yet.

Lots of cats are being attracted to the garden - grr!

Comment

Can you pick it up ?
                      If so try lifting it up and down quickly so it uses it's wings for balance- that'll help strengthen the wings up.(maybe if it's OK with that throw it gently into the air so it can flap to land) little and often....
                      Is it eating enough??? ( no idea how much a youngster would eat!)
                      Plenty of water????

I used to hand rear chicks - helping out a rescue centre- and this is what we did to get them flying!

good luck- and yes- I'm sure the cats must be more than interested

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        If so try lifting it up and down quickly so it uses it's wings for balance- that'll help strengthen the wings up.(maybe if it's OK with that throw it gently into the air so it can flap to land) little and often....
                        What lovely advice Nicos - glad you're on the 'Save the Pigeon' team with us.

Sonata, if you do follow this advice, we'll need photographic evidence please.
                        Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 10-07-2009, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Well it seems to be fluttering around the cage lots today so am going to take him out tomorrow morning to see if he wants to practice Nicos' trick or fly away. Didn't want to do it late in the day. I'll try to get some pics of him tomorrow.

Comment

Chased loads of cats off loads of times last night. I tried surrounding the cage with those scaredy cat plants. Grr and got a deposit in the veggie patch last night.

Anyway, birdie has flown away now. He was very ready to go, and when I opened the cage, off he went to the roof (so I'm guessing his wing has healed sufficiently). Didn't get a chance to get any pics though.

I've left the cage open for now just in case he needs to/wants to come back..hopefully he won't though.

Comment

Well done!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X