Butterfly Bush: you're not kidding

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Bush: you're not kidding

I couldn't believe a) the size of my buddleja and b) the sheer quantity of butterflies on it

Here's a selection (there were 100's of them, but they wouldn't sit still for a photo)
    Attached Files
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Lovely, there seem to be a lot of butterflies about just now. Love the coloured ones, but hate the cabbage whites.

Comment

Buddlejas are wonderful aren't they?
      Do you have other butterfly plants to follow on? My Sedums always attact a lot.
      It seems gardens are more and more important for insects and birds now that farmland is so sterile - I wish farmers would do here what I have seen in France and grow a 2m wide flower bed around some of the fields

Comment

Originally posted by Lovage View Post
        I deadhead the buddleja to provide nectar for as long as possible.
        Yes, I have a sedum, although I hate them.
        I also grow nettles, which the peacock lays her eggs on.

Comment

I've got one of these growing at the edge of my garden and where I park my car. It's really lovely and naturally hides my wheelie bins, I couldn't have planned it better myself.

It's so lovely that when I walk down the path to get to the car, I just lift back a drooping branch that blocks my way, because it pains me to think of cutting back such beauty. At the moment I thinking I'll wait until the flower dies off before I cut that branch back, although I'm sure anyone else using the path is not quite so keen.

Comment

I have five buddleia bushes in the garden and when the first one came into flower I had a few small tortoiseshells and a tatty little comma visit it, but for the last four days there has been a super abundance and the long path in the middle of the garden has been like a very expensive carpet. There have only been the couple already mentioned plus peacocks (the most numerous), large tortoiseshells and red admirals - I keep hoping that some other usual visitors will arrive.

Comment

Another flutterby fan here. They are beautiful.

My Buddleja is heaving too lately.

I have to admit, my Buddleja collection is steadily growing.

The Red Valerian attracted lots before that. As well as damselflies and a very cute hummingbird moth who came every day for a week or so.

The Verbena Bonewhatsit is also popular.

I'm gradually making my garden a wildlife zone and really enjoying it. I love wandering out and the whole place is buzzing with life.

I'm finding the Ladybird army that's currently destroying the hordes of aphids fascinating. I'm glad I never got round to spraying, even just with soapy water now.

Anybody else got anything good for attracting butterflies? Sedems have been added to the to get list.
              Last edited by BFG; 03-08-2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

"The top 99 best butterfly nectar plants in order of attraction

This list is published with the kind permission of Dr. Margaret Vickery, author of 'Gardening for Butterflies'.

1. Buddliea 26. Verbena 51. Hyssop 76. Onions
                2. Ice plant 27. Alyssum 52. Rock Rose 77. Virginia stocks
                3. Lavender 28. Common Fleabane 53. Honeysuckle 78. Petunia
                4. Michaelmas daisy 29. Dandelion 54. Daisy 79. Busy Lizzie
                5. Marjoram 30. Dahlia 55. Teasel 80. Coreopsis
                6. Red valerian 31. Wallflower 56. Sneezewort 81. Bluebell
                7. Aubretia 32. Bowles mauve wallflower 57. Chrysanthemum (single) 82. Yarrow
                8. Field Scabious 33. Ivy 58. Cosmos, Cosmea 83. Birds-foot- trefoil
                9. Scabious 34. Heather 59. Osteospermum 84. Everlasting pea
                10. Bramble 35. Shrubby cinquefoil 60. Clover 85. Cuckoo flower
                11. French Marigold 36. Ragwort 61. Globe thistle 86. Feverfew
                12. Hebe 37. Cranesbill 62. Marguerite 87. Inula
                13. Candytuft 38. Primrose 63. Pot marigold 88. Pinks
                14. Lobelia 39. Tree mallow 64. Escallonia 89. Sneezeweed (Helenium)
                15. Honesty 40. Chives 65. Everlasting flower 90. Floss flower (Ageratum)
                16. Mint 41. Thyme 66. Lilac 91. Corn marigold
                17. Hemp Agrimony 42. Catmint 67. Cornflower 92. Sea holly
                18. Phlox 43. African marigold 68. Hyacinth 93. Grape hyacinth
                19. Forget-me-knot 44. Pansy 69. Lychnis coronaria 94. Cotoneaster
                20. Aster 45. Black eyed Susan 70. Red campion 95. Buttercup
                21. Sweet rocket 46. Hydrangea 71. Nasturtium 96. Viola
                22. Runner bean 47. Golden rod 72. Ceratostigma 97. Ceanothus
                23. Knapweed 48. Ox-eye daisy 73. Statice 98. Muskmallow
                24. Privet 49. Sweet William 74. Cone flower 99. Heliotrope
                25. Purple loosestrife 50. Shasta Daisy 75. Senecio"

Hertfordshire and Middlesex Branch of Butterfly Conservation - Gardening for butterflies

Who can get squeeze all 99 in then?
                Last edited by BFG; 03-08-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I surprised myself on looking through the list - I have 29 of the plants mentioned in my garden.

Comment

That's a curious list BFG. I have most of those plants, and never seen a butterfly on any of them.

They do go for scabious though, and the bees love it too.

Comment

I have a Buddlia growing out of my............................... Chimney lol.
                      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                      and ends with backache

Comment

I couldn't agree more - My buddliea is really pretty at the moment and I found these on there yesterday and I plan to go out with the camera on a tripod today so... watch this space.
                        Attached Files
                        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

A wonderful pic of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth, Scarey. I had to check your location to find out why it wasn't pouring with rain!
                          http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Lol about the weather Digthatchick but along with the sun come the most enormous thunder storms

The thing about the pictures is that I took about 50 and there are only a couple that were any good Hey, ho, off out for another go today - Thank God for digital cameras
                            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by Lovage View Post
                              Buddlejas are wonderful aren't they?
                              It seems gardens are more and more important for insects and birds now that farmland is so sterile - I wish farmers would do here what I have seen in France and grow a 2m wide flower bed around some of the fields
                              I have seen that in UK fields, so some farmers are doing it.
                              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X