Butterfly Bush: you're not kidding

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    I surprised myself on looking through the list - I have 29 of the plants mentioned in my garden.
    Well done. I managed 18. With Clover, Ivy etc helping.

Comment

Great pic Scarey. I thought I'd taken a good one a few weeks ago, but it moved right at the last second. Got half of it.

I'd never seen one before that.

Comment

Thank you BFG, I sat there all day today with a much better camera on a tripod and still didn't get as good a shot as I did with the point and click camera
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Lots of Brinstones in the garden today.
          Attached Files

Comment

On the subject of butterflies and in particular Painted the Lady,

This year could be one of the biggest migration of butterflies into this country in decades. Millions have flown into Britain from the deserts of north Africa. Up to 18,000 were spotted 'surfing' the breeze across Scolt Head Island on the north Norfolk coast: 50 arriving every minute according to Natural England nature reserve staff!The Butterfly Conservation Trust are currently doing a survey on the Painted Lady species.

Two sheds, by the look of your last picture you have had a painted lady visit your garden!
            I'm sooo jealous.

If anyone would like to record their sightings, go to the link below, become part of one of the biggest butterfly surveys to date!

Painted Lady - Butterfly Conservation

Comment

Entered survey.
              4 this year so far.

5 years ago we had 29...

Comment

Also recorded my sightings yesterday.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fleegle View Post
                  On the subject of butterflies and in particular Painted the Lady,

This year could be one of the biggest migration of butterflies into this country in decades. Millions have flown into Britain from the deserts of north Africa. Up to 18,000 were spotted 'surfing' the breeze across Scolt Head Island on the north Norfolk coast: 50 arriving every minute according to Natural England nature reserve staff!The Butterfly Conservation Trust are currently doing a survey on the Painted Lady species.

Two sheds, by the look of your last picture you have had a painted lady visit your garden!
                  I'm sooo jealous.

If anyone would like to record their sightings, go to the link below, become part of one of the biggest butterfly surveys to date!

Painted Lady - Butterfly Conservation
                  Cool. More butterflies!

Painted Ladies aren't rare are they? There's been loads in my garden for weeks now. It's between them and various Whites for who's the most common.

Comment

HI BFG,

Nope, they're not a rare species they are a common and widespread migrant. I still think they are beautiful even if they are in abundance and its always a pleasure to see them!

Many of the ancient civilizations believed that butterflies were symbols of the human soul but I think the Chinese and Japanese cultures of centuries gone by got it right, they used them as symbols of joy and the essence of happiness!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X