Elephant Hawk Moth Catapillar

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant Hawk Moth Catapillar

Whilst clearing out the pond yesterday, came across two of these. One was around 3 inches long, maybe bigger. It looks like a cartoon character!
    Attached Files

You're right, it does look like a cartoon character.

They do turn into quite unusual/attractive? moths though.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Ooh he/she is a handsome fellow/lady
      There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar, fantastic, i used to see lots of them when i was a kid, but sadly round where i live there isn't that many....beautiful moth when he change's.

Comment

They are brilliant aren't they, I haven't seen one here for a couple of years but we used to get the odd one so I suppose they must still be around, nice photo!
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Wow! He looks amazing,never seen one of those.Looks like he might stop for a chat!
            Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

My mum had one of these in her garden earlier in the year, we had to look it up to see what it was, they do look like a cartoon character, i thought they were abit ugly until I looked it up once they change they really are quite beautiful. Mum also has a pond, wonder if they hang out around ponds?
              http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

I want one!!!!
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

They eat aquatic plants, hence found by the pond

Comment

There was one in my garden this morning. Massive!

Comment

I think there has been a massive increase in these this year, I saw my 1st ever 2 together at work a few weeks ago, and then 1 in my garden last week.

Their Favourite food is Fuschia and the willow Herb family.

Heres a pic of a work one.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by seasprout; 27-08-2009, 02:50 PM.
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

something similar

Found a pupae of a moth in my potato plot when harvesting other day. Bulgarian still not good enough to find out what strain - anybody any ideas? Kept the pupae, still alive as yet, don't all jump down my throat but should I destroy it, i.e is it bad for other potato growers? If not then where best to place it in order for it to fulfil it's life span? Sorry but not a bug fan and it gives me the creeps..

Comment

I don't think there are any moths which are particular pests of potatoes so I'd just put it somewhere sheltered on your plot or in the garden, maybe in a pile of leaves near a hedge or similar. I wouldn't think one would do much harm by itself anyway & most moths are very pretty so I'd save it. Not sure what it would be though, not very well up on Bulgarian moths!
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X