Dovecote help.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dovecote help.

We have two pairs of doves that virtually live in the garden. We don't mind that they eat cherries etc. We think they are booful and are happy to share. A very kind neighbour has just (about 20 minutes ago) brought us a home made dovecote round. I've got an eight foot pole it will go on to be safe from the same neighbour's cats but does anybody have any tips, especially, how do we get them to use it? I would hate to see it as a wasp's nest.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sarraceniac; 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

You put a sign in all the trees about telling them where it is.
    Seriously though they will find it if they like they will move in but if you can put the entrance facing east then the midday sun will not beam through the entrance and make it to hot for the young....jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Before you ask why the east that is how Woodpeckers do it if you ever find a Woodpeckers nest they always have the hole facing east must be a reason... jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
        Before you ask why the east that is how Woodpeckers do it if you ever find a Woodpeckers nest they always have the hole facing east must be a reason... jacob
        Thanks for that. I am sure you are right but this one has 2 'apartments'. I assume it is supposed to be one for each pair. We have very thoughtful neighbours. If I point one doorway east, then the other one will be pointing west which gets very warm afternoon sun. (The area it is going in is very sunny, south facing.) So I'll take your advice on this but maybe orient it so one door is slightly south-east and the other slightly north west. That way neither door will get the hot mid-day sun pouring in. That is, of course, if we get any hot mid-day sun this year.

>

Comment

Let us know how the doves get on in their new house.I have mentioned making one to OH as we have a one legged dove (peggaty) that has been coming a long time and now with friend so would like to give them somewhere. he or she manages very well without the foot and usually hangs that leg over the feeding tray and settle s itself down. A dovecote would be such a help.

Comment

I take it you don't grow brassicas.

Seriously though, it looks to be well made and a dovecote does enhance a garden I think! (Even if there are no doves in it!)
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Shouldn't that be 'no doves ON it' Snadger? They are getting more and more used to it, or maybe the sunflower seed I am luring them with? Often two come together now. Thanks all.
              Attached Files

>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X