Beekeeping

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beekeeping

Hi, I have been looking at some of the bee threads posted on here. I have been toying with the idea of keeping bees for a couple of years now but before I take the plunge I hope that a kind knowledgeable beekeeper could answer a couple of questions for me. I would be very grateful.
    Firstly, are there any laws that I need to know about, ie liability? I have a well used and popular public footpath that runs along the side of my fence. Would warning signs be sufficient?
    Secondly, unfortunately my young lab chases bees and flies etc! I am hoping he will soon learn but could this cause bees to become angry? The hive would be situated in the fenced off veg garden so he wont be able to "pester" it. I also have phone numbers of the local beekeepers association should I decide to go ahead.
    Thanks in advance

Firstly contact your local beekeeping association. Whether or not you decide to go ahead as they can be a mine of information and are helpful too. They will be able to tell you if there are any by laws regarding the keeping of bees.

Some even run courses for beginners, some members may even be willing to give you some practical "lessons" which are invaluable as opening a hive with tens of thousands of bees for the first time can be a daunting thing.

You may have to go through a DEFRA inspection when you get your bees, I did when it was MAFF. Though mine came about as I joined my local beekeeping association. This is nothing to worry about they are just checking the health of the bees not your ability to keep them.

I recommend you get "Guide To Bees And Honey" by Ted Hooper. It is one of the best books out there and can answer a lot of questions you may have.

How high is the fence?

As long as your dog can't get at the hive he will not aggravate the bees.

Comment

Thanks Guttata, the fence between main garden and veg garden is a waist high picket fence and the outside fence is a solid 6' one.

Comment

That should be high enough to force them up and over the heads of passers by on the path.

If your local association say there are no bylaws regarding bees specific to your area I would not put up any signs. This is just a personal choice as I see it as tempting fate for hive interference.

Comment

Ok thanks for the tip!

Comment

I;d also recommend contacting your local BBKA branch, joining them not only gives you access to a lot of knowledge, but also provides you with public liability insurance for up to 3 hives per member, to the tune of £1million!

We got our first hive last May, quickly followed by 2 more (from captured swarms) and have just had to split them (to stop them from swarming) into 7 hives, which is plenty for us now! If you were localish you would be welcome to come and see our apiary and the bees, but I have a feeling Suffolk would be a bit far to come!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Sorry late to pick up this thread......all great advice I can not add to it really.
              Bee keeping is great, fun and so interesting, It does take up a little bit of time round about this time of year and for the next 3 or so months. As said earlier, take a course and join the British Bee keepers Association (useful advice and insurance). Sign up to Bee Base- this helps track and log diseases.
              Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

I am watching keenly this thread, as we are in the busines of setting up a new allotment site, and the current landowner has given permission for us to keep bees (and chickens!). In the early stages so far, but it's something we will be looking into...

Adam S

Comment

Great news kalimna.... nice to know that many people are now happy to share their plots with the bees....we all need bees!

Comment

I went to see my local beekeeper today. He was so friendly and helpful (and enthusiastic!) Had a brilliant time and I have been invited back next week when he will open the hives up to check them. He also said he could help me to find a hive. I am really looking forward to it. He has a spare suit I could borrow. I am going to join the local group and they have hives especially for people like me just starting out. Thanks for all your tips, they are much appreciated.
                    I will keep you posted....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X