Wasps Nest - Your Thoughts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasps Nest - Your Thoughts

We have found a wasps nest in the shed where the babies play all the time. I have a horrendous allergic reaction to bites and stings, that three times I've had to have medical treatment for (extreme swelling etc.)

We love the look of the nest and it's so interesting to watch the wasps and I know how much good they do in the garden. But I have to weigh against that my own reaction to stings and the fact that we have very young children who may share my allergic reaction.

It's tiny at the moment - we had a huge one in our old house, and this one is very new.

What would you do?
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Mods, sorry. Feel free to move to the 'Pests' bit or 'Wildlife' if you think it more appropriate.
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I would be worried in your shoes. Between your allergies and the children it doesn't seem reasonable to leave it. Call the council and get some advice. Years ago we had one and the council told us to ring Oxford university because sometimes you can have a special wasp that they're interested in doing research on! Perhaps Sheffield uni wants some wasps!
      Last edited by Patchninja; 16-05-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I've just moved this thread Rhona!
        I would have left it...but needed to try out a few new buttons!!!

my opinion????.....zap 'em.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Personally I would get it removed. Wasps, children and allergies are not a good mix. We tend to get a wasps nest or two every year and I always get them professionally removed, do not try it yourself. I know they are beneficial but I wouldn't take the risk.

Comment

Don't take the risk, Rhona - my late OH was allergic and the wasps seemed to sense this and bothered him all the time. I had a nest in the eaves of the house near the window - had to get rentokil in (our council don't do any pest control for free).
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

HI
              I found one on my shed on Friday...The only answer is to destroy them. Thankfully it was small enough for me to do as it was in the process of being built. I agree the nest was rather beautiful BUT

I hate wasps...
              Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Get rid and think of your little ones and yourself. They will nest somewhere else.

You would never forgive yourself if something awful happened !
                You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

I share your 'swelling when stung' problem Rhona, but also agree they are beautiful. I still say Zap-'em!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'm another swelling type person so would get rid of it ASAP! We've had a couple of wasps in the garden supping at the gooseberry flowers, but the Waspinator we got last year seems to be keeping them away.

Comment

This is a difficult one because I really believe in letting all insects into the garden and wasps are so useful for the early part of the year. They kept most of my brassicas free of cabbage white caterpillars last year.

But taking into consideration your allergy and the fact it may have passed onto your kids, it's worth getting rid of it. Console yourself with the fact that I'm sure you are doing your best for the rest of the wildlife in your garden.
                      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I'm a great believer in live and let live.

Whilst most people hate wasps. they do not realise the good they do at this time of year. The adults are voracious predators on caterpillars, greenfly, etc, to feed their larvae.

With regard to the nest, at the end of the year it will be abandoned, when the queen leaves, and all the workers have died. It will not be reinhabited.

valmarg

Comment

That 'live and let live' has to be more powerful in favour of your own children though eh?!

I caught a wasp starting to make a nest in my dalek compost bin, and left the lid off it on purpose so that the rain got in and 'encouraged' it to move on.. They might be useful, but, my #2 son has had anaphylactic shock from a different allergy, and I'm not prepared to take the risk...

I'd get someone in to remove it, and then buy one of those fake wasps nests to put in it's place to discourage any other wasps from moving in.

Comment

If it wasn't for your allergy then I'd say leave it as wasps are one of those things that get a lot of undeserved bad press and in most cases do far more good than harm. However there's a big difference between the normal pain of a sting and a full scale reaction.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I think Im with the majority here, the allergy and your children have to take a higher priority, as with everything its a risk v benefit kind of thing- most councils charge for this now, have a look on house insurance policy-if you have the homecare(or whatever its called) element its often included under vermin infestation (actually sheds probably wont be covered thinking about it),

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X