Blackbird takes sparrow chicks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbird takes sparrow chicks

My 5 nestboxes were taken by sparrows and another pair built a nest in the ivy 6 feet below nestboxes. These chicks have been doing fine for about 2 weeks and the parents have been feeding them vast amounts. I went out early this morning and saw a male blackbird at this nest. I got the lader up and all chicks gone.I never knew this happened. Has anyone else seen similar? Ill have to put up more boxes .
    Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
    Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

I was so happy today till I read your post. What else can I say?

Comment

You saw him at the nest. You didn't see him harming the babies. Perhaps something else took them, and the blackbird was just investigating a new nest site?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes true, thats why I said I never knew of such behaviour and asked if anyone else has seen such a thing.
        Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.

Comment

I just went and checked and the ivy does still have berries so its possible he may have been collecting them. Maybe it was a rat, I dont get squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheikh Yerboutti View Post
            My 5 nest boxes were taken by sparrows and another pair built a nest in the ivy 6 feet below nest boxes. These chicks have been doing fine for about 2 weeks and the parents have been feeding them vast amounts. I went out early this morning and saw a male blackbird at this nest. I got the ladder up and all chicks gone.I never knew this happened. Has anyone else seen similar? Ill have to put up more boxes .
            Hi sheikh, just read your post and you say that the parents were feeding the babies for about 2 weeks, well Ive just done a little checking The young fledge 14-16 days after hatching. They are unable to feed themselves for a week after leaving the nest and are cared for by their parents for a fortnight.

So it is entirely possible you baby sparrows have flown the nest.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Chickiller

I just read a post about vanishing chicks. We've had a huge surgance in the number of crows and especially magpies in the last 5 or 6 years. Up til the end of April you've got all these beautiful small birds (including thrushes and blackbirds) flitting around building nests etc.. It's about now that you'll start to notice them vanish and find them dead- with small tears on them. I was horrified to see last year two magpies and one crow attacking a male blackbird eating him alive - cannabilism. And have many a time seen magpies take a beakful of chicks and being chases by swallows etc. There is no ornitologist in the world that could persuade me to like them. Even Noah sent one off to his demise from the ark, and they're still around!

Comment

Everybody's favourite bird the Woodpecker will raid other birds nests 2 years ago i found a Treecreepers nest and was keeping a eye on it but the Woodpecker found it as well and drilled into it the Treecreepers are still about but have not found the nest this year found the Woodpeckers nest though..jacob
                What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                  Hi sheikh, just read your post and you say that the parents were feeding the babies for about 2 weeks, well Ive just done a little checking The young fledge 14-16 days after hatching. They are unable to feed themselves for a week after leaving the nest and are cared for by their parents for a fortnight.

So it is entirely possible you baby sparrows have flown the nest.
                  No, Im afraid not. Ive had this colony here for some years and when they fledge they stay close to the garden where they get fed by the parents with my food mix. The parents are here vainly searching the nest all day.

Comment

I don't know if you watch Spring Watch, but one year they were showing you all about Predation...this is where the male will take to young out of the nest and dispatch them, more so if he isn't the father to the brood. I'm not saying this is what has happened to your baby's although is could be the black bird has dispatched them... so there's more food in the area for his own brood!

Comment

Originally posted by dincur View Post
                      . We've had a huge surgance
                      I had to look that up, it's not a real word You meant resurgence?

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
                      the black bird has dispatched them... so there's more food in the area for his own brood!
                      Sparrows are mostly seed-eaters, while blackbirds mostly eat worms & insects: they don't compete for food
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-05-2010, 07:02 AM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Sparrows are mostly seed-eaters, while blackbirds mostly eat worms & insects: they don't compete for food
                        Tell that to the sparrows in our garden they love nothing more than a big fat juicy caterpillar or fresh meal worm's. And there forever squabbling with the other bird's over them.

Comment

Yes sparrows are voracious predators, especially when theres chicks to feed. Theyre taking most of my damselflys and dragonflys as they crawl out of the pond .Ive ordered a kilo of live mealworms today to try and save the damsels.

Comment

It was probably a magpie if they've been taken from the nest. I saw a magpie killing & eating a young starling the other day just round the corner from me, the parents were leaping about on the roof screaming as the magpie cackled & ate the youngster nearby! Magpies are beautiful & intelligent birds but they do seem to have a nasty streak!
                            When they're in the nest the parents feed sparrows insects & grubs & once they're out of the nest anything goes but I doubt another bird would kill them to wipe out competition for food.
                            I thought also that maybe they'd just fledged but if you can't see them anywhere maybe they did fledge but have been caught by some kind of predator, cat, sparrowhawk etc. We have lots of fledgling sparrows at the moment, they didn't nest in our garden but come here to feed, they sit in the trees & shrubs pecking at buds & flying after their parents begging. I have seen sparrowhawks swoop & steal them from the fence in the past. We did have a couple of baby dunnocks too but unfortunately the cat left a dead one on the step the other day!
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X