Oak trees hanging on to leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak trees hanging on to leaves

I have a row of oak trees to the side of my garden all but one of which still retain many leaves. By this time I would expect most if not all of the leaves to have been shed. I believe this is called marcescence but I don't understand what makes it so prominent this year. I have a few theories but has anyone else noticed this or can anybody provide an explanation ?

I've noticed lots of plants retaining their brown leaves this year and have heard this is due to the early cold snap freezing the leaves before they're ready to drop, which causes them to remain on the plant.
    One of my apples is covered in brown leaves...not sure if it'll cause any harm - have you heard if it will Rana?

Comment

Our oak trees (we 'own' a 4 acre oak wood) have been very odd this winter, they've shed their leaves very irregularly and I was seeing them falling last week. They are all bare today, well those close to the house are.
      Last edited by TonyF; 06-01-2011, 05:20 PM.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Hi Vicky - my apple trees lost their leaves ages ago. I have done some research and it seems leaf retention can happen particularly when there is an early cold spell (before the excision layer has developed in the leaf stem). Apparently it does no harm but it is a nuisance as I am forced to leave the pond cover on.

Comment

I espesh noticed all 'our' retained leaves when we had the heavy snowfalls. Those trees looked spectacular.
          There were lots of broken branches afterwards though
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X