DIY nesting boxes....etc....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY nesting boxes....etc....

I've just been listening to a couple of Tawny Owls in my garden and it got me thinking that they'll be thinking of starting a family soon

And so...I suddenly realised that every Spring- usually too late- I wish I'd made some nesting boxes for different species of birds.

Many birds are struggling, and I'm sure this very cold winter ( 2nd one running) can't be helping.

And so.......

I thought it'd be helpful if we could all contribute to this thread offering different ,simple plans for making nest boxes ( for all species of birds)???

There's not a lot we can do in the garden/lottie at the moment- so lets focus on helping the wildlife!

Piccies of what you have made ( or bought)...DIY plans and links....and just general advice would be brill!

So- come on , lets see what we can do between us!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I'm going to make a hedgehog house.

Epping Forest Hedgehog Rescue - Hedgehog Houses

I have 2 tit boxes, 1 starling box and 1 sparrow terrace around the garden. All are occupied each year.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/Nestbo...cm9-173857.pdf
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

hedgehog box??..lovely idea!

I fancy having a bash at a wren box. Doesn't look too complicated...

House Wren Nest Box Plans

**Anyone know what is the ideal height /location and N/S direction is best for locating a wren box...or any other box for that matter?
      Last edited by Nicos; 07-01-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

What a clever idea!!!! ( might be a bit exposed though???)....

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          What a clever idea!!!! ( might be a bit exposed though???)....

I foresee a change in colour for the tiles.

Comment

My son made one last year! They are brill and it got used. I will posta pic tomorrow..

Comment

I think one of the best things we can do to help wildlife is not be obsessive about having a tidy garden. When I do any summer or winter pruning of fruit trees and bushes the bits just get thrown into a big heap at the bottom of the garden and this provides a refuge for frogs and hedgehogs. Come the warm weather when they can survive outside I bung the lot through the shredder (after removing any small animals). I also put toilet roll inners and cardboard tubes unsquashed on the compost heap and cover them with debris. The little tunnels stay intact for quite a while and make homes for critters as well as aerating the heap.

my blog:
              the recycled gardener

Comment

I have rescued an old wooden drawer and put it to one side to make a toad/frog box from. It will just fit under my pallet stack which I am setting up as a wildlife home.
                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Need to find a site to make sure I site them in the best place, any suggestions?

Comment

I made a hedgehog house this weekend with old fence panels and spare wood. I covered the lid with some thick plastic to keep the rain off. The lid is removable so I can clean the inside. I'm a bit late for this season's hibernation but that will give it plenty of time to get discovered. I've laid some paper on the bottom but should I add some straw or bedding material?

Attached Files
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

That looks great!
                      I imagine a fox wouldn't be able to access the hibernating hedgehog...good design!

I'd be tempted to put some dry leaves in it ( if you can find any!)

Comment

We made a hedghog box last year, using a solid floor from one of the beehives we bough 2nd hand (the beehive had a new mesh floor, so it was surplus to req) and a load of old bricks, it was easy to do, took about 2 hours and looks great, see the piccies for details!

Hedgehog in the hedgehog 'bunker' (as we called it!)

Making the box

Ready for the lid

Burried ready for use!

We've also built a couple of bird boxes, although with the prices of some we've seen, its hardly worth the effort, picked up one last summer for £5, for robins, which is now on the side of the shed!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Mrs Dobby, that is absolutely wonderful! Especially the picture of hog in residence.

I have plenty of shreddings to bury my house with too. What's the advantage of doing so?

I have plenty of leaves but not dry. Maybe I'll buy a small bag of hay.

Do rats occupy them or is it not their style?
                          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Hi Capsid,

We burried it under bark chippings in order to give it more insulation, we covered the bricj and wooden structire with old compost bags (to waterproof it), and the bark chippings also hid the plastic and made it less intrusive, more natural, so the reasons were both aesthetic and insulation.

Havent had any problems with rats at the plot, so I would think they wouldnt bother with it, but the deisgn, with the entrance tunnel and right angled entrance to the sleeping chamber not only stops foxes from getting in, but also stops any wind from blowing straight into the hibernation chamber!

Dont forget to leave a vent hole, we used a length of plastic tubing, this not only allows ventilation for air, but also cuts down on condensation.

HTH
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Very bizarrely, I've suddenly acquired two posh bird boxes. My BiL sent me one for Xmas (from M&S believe it or not) and I bought one, very smart, copper lidded, usually €39, for €7.50 in the sales a couple of weeks ago.

The garden is now swarming with small birds, 3 types of tits, wrens, tree creepers and robins, just need to decide where to position them now, maybe put one high on the back of the chalet/shed and another tucked into the big hedge.
                              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X