Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you keen on bats?

Bat Helpline

"When bats are most active between May and September, BCT runs an out of hours helpline, where volunteers answer emergency calls from the public in the evenings and at weekends...

Interested in a volunteering challenge? Join one of BCT’s largest seasonal volunteer projects."

Bat Helpline - Bat Conservation Trust
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

SBP I just love bats!
    Mr HF bought me a detector Christmas before last....it has had so much use - we even managed to get on two tutored bat walks during last summer.
    Sadly at the moment I cant dedicate time to help out (and I have no real knowledge of bats - just a passion for them) I will keep the link safe though....just in case!
    Many thanks
    HF

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      Bat Helpline

"When bats are most active between May and September, BCT runs an out of hours helpline, where volunteers answer emergency calls from the public in the evenings and at weekends...

Interested in a volunteering challenge? Join one of BCT’s largest seasonal volunteer projects."

Bat Helpline - Bat Conservation Trust
      Thanks for the link. beautiful but so misunderstood creatures.

paul.
      Help Wildlife.
      Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Interesting thread. We have them in the roof (equally protected here) and we even have a couple that hang on the wall behind the shutters when they're opened against the walls and fixed back, for most of the year. I wondered where the droppings were coming from on the various sills and it's those little rascals.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

We have Natterers Bats in an old conker tree in the garden. They hibernate over winter in the hollows in the branches and the garden comes alive during summer evenings. Great to watch!

Comment

We've a colony that lives in a cave at the side of the ship canal, wonderful to watch when they come out at twilight and fly circles above the back yard, great to watch thru the lounge windows or if sitting out having a BBQ!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
              We've a colony that lives in a cave at the side of the ship canal, wonderful to watch when they come out at twilight and fly circles above the back yard, great to watch thru the lounge windows or if sitting out having a BBQ!
              ...while sipping wine!

Its probably the same bat that we see, they prefer cool, dark caves to roost (but will use tree hollows if none are available) and like to be near water.

Natterer's Bat

Comment

There are apparently alot of bat colonies here. I have seen alot flying round. The Bat society people came to check our loft. They bought some with them as apparently they always do to raise awareness. They were sooooo cute. Lovely animals, although I have to say my infactuation is hedgehogs.
                http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  ...while sipping wine!
                  Oii! I resemble that remark!! Lol!

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Its probably the same bat that we see, they prefer cool, dark caves to roost (but will use tree hollows if none are available) and like to be near water.

Natterer's Bat
                  Looks like it could be!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Great link sbp, thanks. I'm in the far from knowledgeable, but appreciative club.

Our last house was in a road called "The Belfry", and we backed onto fields. Of an evening during the warmer months we would sit outside and watch 2-3 bats swooping and diving back and forth across the gardens in our row.

When we moved we did say that one of the things we would miss in this house would be the bats.

Low and behold, one evening not long after we'd moved in we saw 2-3 bats swooping and diving across the gardens.

Brilliant.

Anyone that can spare the time is doing great work.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I love 'em. They're a marvellous cross between being harbingers of warm insect-laden weather and some sort of vampire movie flappyness.
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 25-01-2011, 08:19 PM.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                        I love 'em. They're a marvellous cross between being harbingers of warm insect-laden weather and some sort of vampire movie flappyness.
                        Thats just a fab description!

Comment

I love bats, me. Some vine members know why.
                          I just don't think I could do a night shift on a hotline!
                          However I am planning to get another couple of batboxes placed on strategic parts of the house!
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Most summers evenings, with a mug of coffee (or maybe, as mentioned a glass of wine, if its a weekend ) perhaps my two old boys cats, and often Mr HF too - I will be found sitting on the garden bench watching and listening to the bats and to make it even more perfect - the hedgehogs come and eat the food I have put out for them just a few feet away from us. I am in heaven and this really is my idea of heaven, even if given the choice of an exotic holiday - I would rather be on that bench watching and listening.
                            If you have never listened to the bats please, please do so.....look up bat walks in your area or buy/ borrow a detector .... I just love to hear them its like a 'batty' version of whale song - absolutely fantastic. Each type has its own call. They make different sounds when homing in on their prey - its like they blow a raspberry - crazy - just like me I guess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X