Encouraging birds- at what cost!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encouraging birds- at what cost!

I'm very keen to encourage birds into my garden. Last year we had the usual nest boxes and feeders up but had very little success with it as our garden and the surrounding area was dominated by cats!

This year, having moved house, I really want to try again with the same methods but have slight concern that they're going to be eating all the veg seeds i put down?

I was hoping for some advice on how likely this is, and any methods for stopping it. A couple spring to mind, namely nets over the pots, making sure they always have food on offer in easy places and letting seeds germinate in the plastic greenhouse before transplanting.

thoughts and opinion would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I can't think how birds are gonna get your veggie seeds unless you scatter them on the surface of the soil? Sometimes our blackbirds have a pull at garlic or shallots sets. But on the whole we pre-germinate and plant out seedlings anyway.
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-01-2011, 07:58 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have several bird feeders around the garden and like SBP said they don't dig for seed. They might steal a raspberry or two but the birds that are most likely to visit your bird table, robin, finches, tits, sparrows etc can cause little damage to your veg! Don't worry about it, encourage them - they are a pleasure to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        I have several bird feeders around the garden and like SBP said they don't dig for seed. They might steal a raspberry or two but the birds that are most likely to visit your bird table, robin, finches, tits, sparrows etc can cause little damage to your veg! Don't worry about it, encourage them - they are a pleasure to watch.
        Excellent- that was my concern that they would forage through the soil so thanks both. yeah, i'm looking forward to it- my two yearold loves 'birbs' as he likes to call them!

Comment

We have a bird table positioned so the kids can see it through the kitchen windo when they are eating breakfast! This woodpecker is a regular visitor.
          Attached Files

Comment

We get a fair few birds coming on our table and feeders only problem I've had is young sparrows eating my baby lettuce its no problem to keep them covered though.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I only feed the birds from the front garden and this seems to keep the majority of them off the back garden. I make sure that the feeders are never empty and make sure that there is plenty of choice of food. They are usually full enough when they leave my front garden and not bothered abpout going to the trouble of scratching up my crops on the back garden.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
                my concern that they would forage through the soil
                Blackbirds will have a good rummage but don't do massive damage: you may lose a couple of seeds if they are too rough in their quest for worms.
                They also get blamed for pulling onions out of the soil, but my greenhouse onions come out of the soil under glass where there aren't any birds: when the roots grow they can push the bulb up and out of the soil

Starlings are insectivorous, so they actually help you out

Sparrows will attack pea & beetroot leaves in spring, so you might need to net them

Woodpigeons will totally strip any brassicas you have, so net those too

All in all though, birds are a good thing
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-01-2011, 06:36 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Dont forget to put out water please folks! and keep those feeders clean

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                    Dont forget to put out water please folks! and keep those feeders clean
                    I don't suppose anybody here uses a steam cleaner on their bird feeders do they? I've looked at quite a few steam cleaners and I can't see any that have a long adapter to fit down the end of my extra-long (getting on for 4ft) 12-porters. Stripping them down is too time consuming.

Cheers,
                    Mal.

Comment

I've had them whip the beets, onions and garlic out, but that's all.

I like to think they eat the caterpillars too, but the amount I get every year suggest otherwise!
                      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Brilliant thank you all. I'll certianly net my garlic, onions and lettuce then and may do others if i find the time. My pessimistic concern had me imagining i'd put fill my bird feeders and look outside the next morning and the garden would be turned upside down!

Comment

It will be your two year old that causes most damage!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            It will be your two year old that causes most damage!!
                            haha i don't doubt that!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM View Post
                              me imagining i'd put fill my bird feeders and ... the garden would be turned upside down!
                              Au contraire: if you're a little cold hungry birdy and someone's put a nice thousand-seed takeaway up for you, you ain't gonna go rummaging in the cold wet soil for a seed
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X