Encouraging birds- at what cost!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the fruit we have problems with.
    The young blackbirds leave the nests just as the strawberry season starts.
    Last year we had three at the same time (blackbird chicks, not strawberries ). They kept getting in under the nets and getting trapped. In the end it was simpler to take off the nets.

Every year they eat all the worcesterberries and most of the blueberries, gooseberries and currants, and all our apples are covered in tiny bruises.
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

I cover my blackcurrants with individual net curtains, otherwise the blackbirds strip them
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have stopped using a open bird table and now use one in a purpose built cage. This allows the smaller song birds to enjoy themselves whilst not encouraging the pigeons.

I find this as two main advantages (a) the pigeons don't take all the feed we put out leaving little or nothing for the smaller birds. (b) The pigeons tend to go elsewhere leaving my garden alone.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have declared war on pidgeons this year, greedy buggers took everything out of OH's garden last season...this year we are armed with nets and I will be ruthless if I happen to find one of the fat **&%&* pecking at my veg again !

Comment

It's the badgers that cause the problems at my allotment. They nab the sweetcorn every year, and no one can stop them.

I watched a nearby plotholder built what can only be described as a fortress last year, with old radiators, pallets and all sorts. His sweetcorn grew really well, right until the last couple of weeks - I can down to the plot, and there was a big hole dug under his protection.
            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

If you use feeders get ones with trays on as they cut down on mess especially if you use a nijer seed feeder for the finches.

Comment

Another deterent I find useful is a pack of wooden Bar-B-Q sticks the ones with nice pointed ends. As I grow in containers I stick these in and around my young plants point upmost it makes it difficult for the birds to land and feast.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                  Bar-B-Q sticks the ones with nice pointed ends.
                  Have you still got both eyes?
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If I tried to use those my four-legged, furry bird would end up needing a trip to the vet.

Shame - it's a great idea.
                    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Good point 2 sheds I wear thick bottle bottoms 24/7 otherwise would not find the garden so I tend to think everyone has the same protection.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X