Visiting Hedgehog

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Hedgehog

We had a lovely little late night hedgehog visit our garden at about half midnight last night.

One of my pet bunnies was thumping so we went out to investigate, and found the spikey little creature.

Unlike many gardeners I actually love snails, so if I come across them I always move them behind a nice shady bush in the garden.....but have now come to realise that I am probably leaving a feast for the visiting hedgehogs!

I hear hedgehogs are gardener's friends since they will eat the slugs. Either way, this little dude or lady was very cute, and it was lovely to see one in my garden.

Hi - could I just dispel the myth that hedgehogs don't eat slugs and snails unless they really have to. I'm the local hedgehog rescueer for Warrington and I take in and rehabilitate poorly hogs.

Hogs diets are mainly beetles, catapillars and earthworms although they will take small frogs and birds eggs if they can get hold of them - slugs and snails actually have the capacity to transfer harmful parasites to the hogs in the form of lungworm and round worm. Hogs can swim quite well although will often drown if they cannot escape steep sided ponds and can climb upto 3 ft. They also have quite a large range so the hog you see in our garden is possibly upto 10 different hogs at various times of night.

If you'd like to encourage your spikey friend could I suggest that you leave him/her a bowl of any of the following : Cat food, cat bsicuits, crushed peanuts, a few crushed sweet biscuits , sultanas and ( if you're a millionaire ) mealworms. Never bread and milk as it gives them the runs even though they will happily eat it.

If you'd like more info I could put you touch with your local hedgehog carer for Coventry.

Best wishes - Piggle
    Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Piggle....I am a huge 'hog' lover, and feed our local hedgehogs every night. They are now back feeding although I have not seen them yet.... lots of hog poo about the garden! happy HF!

Comment

Hi Piggle, thank you for the clarification of the slugs and snails Its lovely you help care for them. It was just something that I had read on a wildlife website found on the internet, but I know things on the internet vary so much....you wouldnt believe how many myths are out there about rabbits too.

The hog seemed happy enough with our presence and we thought we heard more rustling in the bushes so wondered if he/she was with a friend or even if there was a nest. Obviously we didnt disturb them and left them to it.

I would like to leave food out for the hedgehogs - but would be worried about attracting rats and mice, particularly as we have our bunnies in the garden.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Awww thats lovely, Headfry.
          Last edited by Helgalush; 18-04-2011, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Not to be crass but they make a right racket when they are mating hegalush, it sounds like someone is being attacked.... it usually goes on for several nights as well.

Nice to see you're all looking after our spikey friends - makes me very happy.
            Gill

Comment

we have enough of that going on around here with the pigeons!!

If I happen to see him or her again I will bring some crushed peanuts or sultanas out for them

Last summer late at night we saw one wandering down the pavement in our street, I was so worried for him or her but eventually he went up someone's drive and presumably in to their garden - I worry about cars and yobs.

Comment

Yes I have seen some terrible things done to hedgehogs .. fireworks and strimmers spring to mind. Can't do much about cars sadly but even though it looks like a lot get killed by cars the remains do stay around for a while as the only thing that eats hedgehogs is badgers .. and even they won't tackle the spiny coat.

If you see one out in the day or see one that is wobbling or cicleing then it needs urgent help.
                Gill

Comment

We rushed one to Tiggywinkles last year......caught in netting on our allotments....made me quite sad.
                  It made it ok though, think I must have rung every day for status reports.
                  We have had as many as five in the garden at the same time, we have a tiny garden so that a lot of hogs per foot!

Comment

Certainly is - mabe it's the hog equivalent of a nightclub!
                    Gill

Comment

Originally posted by Piggle View Post

Hogs diets are mainly beetles, catapillars and earthworms although they will take small frogs and birds eggs if they can get hold of them... Cat food, cat bsicuits, crushed peanuts, a few crushed sweet biscuits , sultanas
                      Just the info I was searching for

This little fella had fallen into one of my Morrisons buckets which are sunk in the soil on my plot. He couldn't get out, so we hoiked him into a bucket with some water & worms, and left him in the shade for a couple of hours.

He was shaking & not eating, so I decided not to release him into the care of the allotment cats, but brought him home for the night. He's just scoffed half a tin of posh cat food (so I guess that means he's fully weaned) and is getting really lively (video here).

He's only 155g, but has no visible fleas or other parasites, and no injuries ("young hedgehogs can, and will, hibernate at 450g or less, but are unlikely to survive. It is preferable for them to weigh 700g+ in order to hibernate successfully" Wildlifeonline - Caring for Hedgehogs)

I think I have a new houseguest ~ until he reaches a good weight, then he'll be off to the wilds again
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-08-2011, 05:15 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

He's lucky you found him TS. Looking forward to the video. If he's a guest, I wonder what your resident animal and bird think to him?
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I used to help with hedgehog rescue/rehab when we were in the UK

We were advised to feed on dog biscuits/jelly cat food( NOT GRAVY- cos it's salty) and meal worms (yeh...I was clearly a millionaire! )

Interestingly they now need to be checked by their BMI - not their weight- prior to release. ( A fat hedgehog is NOT a healthy one which will survive release/winter.... Interesting isn't it????)

Oh...and anyone finding a hedgehog...PLEASE check for ticks and remove any you find...it'll give them a slightly better chance or survival!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Two sheds - please please contact your local hedghog carer and get him checked out. After a shock like that he needs a heat pad and possibly sub-cut fluids as he's so small. Lively isn't aways good as the he could have fluke or internal parasites which need treatment.

I don't know your local carer as you are in Norfolk but the BHPS or Diss Hedgehog Advisory Centre 01379 644 988 will be able to help.
                            Gill

Comment

will do Gill.

From his weight and size, I'd guess he's 4-5 weeks old. He perfectly fits the description of a month-old hoglet: http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/F...or_hoglets.htm
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-08-2011, 03:35 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X