Attracting Ladybirds by mistake

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attracting Ladybirds by mistake

They love my Parsnip leaves All of them are covered in ladybirds, some actively reproducing. Never knew they would be like that. I'd left a batch of nettles purposely for attracting them but only one or two have ever been on them.

So what do i do with them? Should i leave them on there and let them fly around the veg patch eating up the aphids (they are right next to the runner bean bed)? Or should i manually move them on to the leaves of my other veg?
    www.gyoblog.co.uk

Ladybirds don't like nettles ~ do they?

If you move them, they'll only fly back to where they want to be. Let them sort themselves out
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I knew nothing when i started this venture so have only learnt what i have read on here, in the mag, or off GW lol. BUT i've just been searching the forum for ladybird advice and no-one has mentioned nettles GRRRRRR. Cheers Two Sheds, will cut them down tomorrow lol God knows where I read, heard, or saw using nettles to attracted ladybirds Will leave them well alone.
      www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

I keep trying to get them to go on the one stalk of lowers on my many [too many] runner beans. They're not having any of it. bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef_uk View Post
          God knows where I read, heard, or saw using nettles to attracted ladybirds
          Nettles are good for some butterflies, but only sunny nettles
          Shady nettles make good plant food (nettle tea)

Comment

Totally agree ^^^ If you're chopping down nettles Chef, get them in a covered bucket with some water and make some free (if smelly) plant food.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

only problem is having the 3 young kids. they are bound to go near the bucket at some point. the little girls have already figured out how to empty the water butt
              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

what plants are good feeders for ladybirds? I bought some larvae on t'internet and some of the adults have stuck around; i have a ladybird nesting house nestled in the madness of one of my strawb planters, but does it need to be higher? Also, I have bought 4 lavender plants as I heard they like this pollen, but what else do they like? Anything that is readily available from a garden center and is small and compact I am keen to encourage them to stay and eat aphids next year too!

Comment

Ladybirds eat aphids, not plants. So any plant with aphids is good for them. To encourage them to stay until next year; leave some sweetcorn stalks in situ or cardoon/globe artichoke heads out all winter and they will hibernate there. What you want is for them to come out in the spring and find their breakfast in your garden. Which is more often than not, blackfly on broad beans.

Comment

I am absolutely amazed at how quickly ladybirds moved onto out new allotment site. I saw blackfly on the runner beans, but the ladybirds were already on the case. None of the plants suffered badly and I've noticed them all over my plot. Sadly some people reached straight for pesticides, and of course nature hadn't a chance.
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had some weird little bright green disc shaped creatures on my parsnip leaves, quite a few of them, the ladybirds appeared to be eating them, they've all gone now, just loads of ladybirds!
                      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

We have ladybirds everywhere - such a fab sight. They tend to hibernate down the joins of our post and rail fence but I'll leave some of my unproductive sweetcorns in situ as mentioned and that'll hopefully play host to a few dozen more

Reet
                        x

Comment

Huge quantities of ladybirds here now: they seem to be gathering to hibernate. They're also feeding on fruit, which I haven't seen before. There were four of them gathered on a tiny piece of pear in the guinea pig run.

Many spider webs too, a sure sign that autumn's here. Oh, and the bean foliage is turning yellow and falling. So, another summer all over by June

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                            Totally agree ^^^ If you're chopping down nettles Chef, get them in a covered bucket with some water and make some free (if smelly) plant food.
                            very very smelly

Comment

p.s. growers of peas for exhibition swear that by transportingtheir peas to a show on a bed of nettles somehow preserves the natural bloom on the pod and enhances the quality of the exhibit. I personally have not yet tried it and suspect it it an evil plot devised by someone trying to get his competitors stung

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X