Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swallows buzzing / chasing off a kestrel?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swallows buzzing / chasing off a kestrel?

Hi,
    I am sitting out in my fields and have been watching swallows and housemartins fly around over me (they live n stables just up the lane).
    Anyway, a kestrel came cruising over and 2 or 3 swallows chased after it and buzzed very close indeed before flying on past.
    The kestrel seemed put off and flew away.
    Is this usual??
    I know my birds (a bit anyway), so am sure I have correctly identified both the kestrel and the other two.
    we also have sparrowhawks around here and I am guessing they would not be so bold with that bird of prey right?
    Cheers
    Nick

Yeah, it's in their interest to get an attack in first
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think it is quite normal. We have swallows here and they often "have a go" at a kestrel when he/she flies over. I think that, the kestrel just wants to get from A to B and isn't at all interested in swallows - now, if it were a hobby, you would have seen a very different outcome
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by nmayhew View Post
        Hi,
        I am sitting out in my fields and have been watching swallows and housemartins fly around over me (they live n stables just up the lane).
        Anyway, a kestrel came cruising over and 2 or 3 swallows chased after it and buzzed very close indeed before flying on past.
        The kestrel seemed put off and flew away.
        Is this usual??
        I know my birds (a bit anyway), so am sure I have correctly identified both the kestrel and the other two.
        we also have sparrowhawks around here and I am guessing they would not be so bold with that bird of prey right?
        Cheers
        Nick
        Even a Sparrowhawk would think twice about trying to match a Swallow for speed, Hawks like their prey on the ground, as they can even chase them if push comes to shove.

paul.
        Help Wildlife.
        Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

I've seen sand-martins do this with crows.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X