Not Technically Wildlife Gardening - Rescued a Baby Squirrel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Technically Wildlife Gardening - Rescued a Baby Squirrel

We heard some squealing from the back alley near our house. My husband came rushing in and said there was a baby mouse - I went out and it transpired it was a baby grey squirrel. It seemed to have been abandoned by its mother - no sign, seemed to have been there some time, and I havent seen our usual grey squirrel for some time.

Its eyes were closed and it couldnt stand on its own legs, therefore we concluded it was a very young baby and as it was crying in hunger and shaking, we decided time was not on its side.

We hung back to look out for mother, while ringing the RSPCA, who advised us to take it to the local vets. We asked if they would PTS and we were told that it was either that or a life in captivity (obviously far from ideal for a wild creature). This is because grey squirrels are not allowed to be released once caught.

I found the number for Coventry Hedgehog Rescue, hoping they may know of a wildlife centre. They told us of one in Evesham - 70 miles away! We rang them and they said they had experience with squirrels and had appropriate milks.

I was torn between which option was best: leave to nature and hope mother comes back (unlikely), take to be looked after but then face a life in captivity, or allow PTS.

I will not let an animal suffer, so option 1 was out, and I felt she deserved a chance of life, and was aware that, even though perhaps not ideal, if looked after properly and given appropriate space, wild animals can live in captivity happily, especially being so young she would never know any different.

So we put a heatpad (that we use for our rabbits) and towels in to a box, and got the poor little mite in to it and went off in the car. Stopped at our own vets on the way, explained the situation, they took her straight out the back and found she was very dehydrated and gave her 5ml of saline.

Then we drove to Evesham. She curled up in to the box and with the vibrations of the car I couldnt really tell if she was still breathing (very worried about how hungry she was) but halfway through she did a cute little stretch and curled up again! I named her Maple. We handed her over to the Wildlife Centre. They said she was very young, and incredibly thin. They said she was a girl They said they would do their best for her, give her something called Lactade that night with lots of vitamins and minerals in, then give her milk in the morning.

When we found her:

Snuggled up in the box:

I rang the next day and was told she had survived over night, and had been taking the milk. She was now also in with a friend so she has company. I will ring again in a few days time.

I feel so lucky to have been able to do this for a vulnerable creature, and to be so close to such a young baby squirrel, which I might otherwise have never seen.

I know this will sound very soppy, but I want so much for her to have a happy life.

Well done you, I hope she does too.

It is a shame she cannot be released again but I hope she finds a good home with caring people just like you.
    The cats' valet.

Comment

Well done you - let's hope she survives.

Comment

Nothing soppy at all, in fact well done you. Yes they are classed as vermin, but hey put on the spot as you were its a tough call, so good on you. Many will dissagree no dought but each to their own.

paul.
        Help Wildlife.
        Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

Nothing soppy at all, in fact well done you.you feel so lucky to have been able to do this for a vulnerable creature.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbody View Post
            It is a shame she cannot be released again..........
            No, there's a reason for it, they're a menace and a pest. Individually very cute and I'd not have wanted it to come to any harm either but they're still a best in the same way as a rat or whatever.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I understand the reasons, but I dont necessarily agree with them. I'm glad I helped her. She's doing really well by the way.
              Last edited by Helgalush; 19-09-2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Well done Helgalush - I'm glad you helped her too.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I'm with Alison - they are vermin, like a fox, rat or pigeon.

However, I would have helped it too!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I don't like them either, but couldn't have watched it suffer so would have done much the same. You did well Helgalush
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I agree - they are a pest but I would have had to have helped too. I rescue hedgehogs so what you did was technically correct heat and fluids...lectade is good stuff.

I always take the stance that unless a wild animal can be returned to the wild then they should be euthanised. It sounds hard hearted but you can't be sentimental around wildlife, they're not pets and unless they can thrive then hey will usually die ... only the strong will survive.

On a lighter note there are certain wildlife centres which can release small amounts of grey squirrels under licence so your little rescue may be released afterall.

By the way have you considered hedgehog rescue ? From reading your post it sounds like something you would be good at. There is a wildlife centre not too far from you that runs an introduction to wildlife course which I have the details for if you PM me.

Gill
                      Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Gill I would absolutely love to, and it has crossed my mind. I dont know if I can make the commitment right now - its enough work with 6 rescue rabbits, lol, and we have a lot on our plate at the moment - but its certainly something I would like to give more consideration. Thank you for the lovely suggestion.

Comment

I would say it's very rewarding but sometimes heartbreaking and frustrating ..... it's not for everyone!

If you decide to take the plunge let me know and I will share all my contacts with you.
                          Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Thank you Gill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X