Is this edible?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this edible?

went out for a walk and spotted some rosehips and these 2 berries. wondered if they were edible?

I wish there was more hedgerow around here, we get blackberries and oak trees.

sorry, I don't know which forum they should be in. please move to where it should go
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bramble_killer; 20-08-2011, 07:33 PM.

Were they prickly bushes? If so, they're probably Hawthorn on the left, and Sloe on the right.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I didn't notice if they were particularly prickly. but I have found a source of sloes. woop.

Comment

Yup leaves defo look like sloes to me! No idea about the the other. Taste one, if you're able to post back tomorrow and your mouth instantly dries up, it's a slow and not something nasty!

Comment

I'm fairly sure on the hawthorn (left pic) but not at all sure about the 'sloe'. Sloes (BLACKTHORN) definitely have big, long, sharp thorns
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The left one is hawthorn and they are edible. They can be made into a decent jelly if boiled with apples.

The one on the right could be blackthorn (sloe) but the fruits usually have a bluish cast. Yours don't look quite right to me and you would certainly know if you tried to pick sloes from a bush without wearing a suit of armour!

Comment

The berries on the right look and bit small and too black for sloe, in fact the berries remind me of deadly nightshade

Comment

:O :O

I shall go and see if there is sharp thorns.
                Last edited by Bramble_killer; 21-08-2011, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Let us know BK- the leaves look the same of a bush I had before...

Thinking about this some more - had a look at belladona, its leaves are different to the picture above by BK.

Have a quick look at this too, BK
                  http://www.skillsforwildlives.com/20...ication-guide/
                  Last edited by chris; 21-08-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X