new wildlife pond

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new wildlife pond

hello all, i have a new allotment and would like to create a wildlife pond on a section of it. I wondered, as funds are low, would thick black plastic be ok to line it or do i need to buy a proper pond liner plastic?

Thanks

fairyclairy

Proper pond liner, and if you have stones on your lotty, you should line the hole with old carpet first, to prevent punctures.

It's much easier to get it right the first time, rather than have to fix mistakes down the line

Cheaper and easier though, would be to just sink a plastic washing up bowl
    Brilliant Creatures
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-05-2012, 06:36 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Or sand as a lining, given that allotments don't like carpet being used.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

We just made a little pond with a piece of builders black plastic as we've been using it to solarise the weeds here. It's working so far. Have a set of old concrete laundry tubs in the other corner.
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
          Or sand as a lining, given that allotments don't like carpet being used.
          They won't see it, under the pond
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks everyone, we have loads of old carpet that was dumped on our plot whilst it wasn't being used so thats a good idea! I'm glad you said about the carpet or sand as I just hadn't given that a thought and the area is quite stony!

Will see if I can get an offcut of a proper liner then as its only going to be quite small.

Fairyclairy

Comment

Whereabouts are you Fairyclairy - it helps with advice if you add your location to your profile

Comment

Thanks Rustylady, just changed it!

Comment

I agree it is much better to get it done right the first time. By doing it right the first time, you'll save time, effort, and money! Plus it will just plain look and feel better.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X